What is the deal with my ASUS Sabertooth 55i?

uberchemist

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hi guys

I have an older PC build from a few years back (I didn't build) that has an ASUS Sabertooth 55i mobo. I've been trying to resurrect this thing to working state, but I'm constantly hit with the same problem, which others have also described having on the ASUS forums:

It won't post, but everything comes on as normal, LED lights blink back and forth for CPU and RAM check, then the VGA light goes on and stays on. Nothing on the monitor. This would lead one to believe it is a graphics card issue, right? Well, here's what I've tried, recommended by others:

Switched out graphics card with two other spare cards, same exact error (used two cards with additional 6-pin power, one old card without any extra power)
Tried installing GPUs in second slot, same error
Cleared CMOS (multiple ways)
Unplugged the 8-pin power from mobo and switched to 4-pin, as recommended by some users, still boots the same
Unplugged all drives, nothing

Other recommendations I have read about this issue: maybe a bad PSU (though everything seems to be fine) - I don't have a good spare to check this; maybe CPU is not compatible with the version of BIOS (it's an i3-550, but I have no idea what version of BIOS the board has, besides what's on the outside... Rev 1.02G (which would NOT be compatible with the CPU, apparently). OR, could just be that the board went bad!

It's frustrating because everything else seems fine. Hard disk spins up, all fans running (yes, even on the graphics cards). Looking for any further suggestions on this from anyone who may have dealt with this particular mobo.

One more thing: I know that this board gives error beeps from the external speaker which can help further identify the issue, but I don't get any beeps because there's no external speaker. :( I may have to swipe one from another build later.

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I'd say your two options now are to either get and install a speaker, or get a PCI POST debugging card like the following:

Sketchy cheap one from Hong Kong:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ISA-PCI-PC-2-Digit-DIAGNOSTIC-CARD-Motherboard-POST-Tester-Debug-6743-/110834646923?pt=US_Motherboard_Diagnostic_Cards&hash=item19ce427f8b#ht_3680wt_1163

Legit one from Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158065

Granted the above ones are just for reference, you could probably find other options that may be better options.

uberchemist

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

From what I have read, it seems those PCI diagnostic cards don't always help much... and they seem way overpriced. I've ordered some spare internal speakers and will try debugging the beeps first. Thanks for the tip!

uberchemist

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Adding an internal speaker hasn't helped my situation at all. After adding it, no beeps were heard and it cycled through the same mobo LEDs and stuck on the VGA as usual. Just to make sure it worked, I left out the GPU and the RAM and got the correct beep error for "no memory." Putting the RAM back in, no beeps, with or without the GPU in the board. That seems to confirm that the issue is with board's VGA port. I doubt that it's still under warranty.... SO, any recommendations for a good replacement board that is similar to this one? I just want to rip it out and pop a new one into the case. Here's some board stats:

ASUS Sabertooth 55i
LGA 1156
Intel P55

Currently in this case:
Intel Core i3-550
2x2GB Geil PC3-12800 240 pin 1600MHz 1.6V (GVP34GB1600C9DC)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
Using 4 SATA ports and 2 USB 2.0 headers

uberchemist

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
After looking through compatible board options (and learning much about how socket type plays a role - primarily that this board is using a now obsolete socket), I have decided to stop looking for a replacement board and scrap both the board and the CPU for something with more longevity... socket type LGA 1155 2nd/3rd generation Intel CPUs. Then the choices of motherboards increase dramatically. Thanks all, I'm putting this one to bed.

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Probably a wise decision. If you go with similar specs as your previous build had, and sell the old cpu/mobo as-is on ebay or some place, you might break even compared to one of the two decent 1156 mobos they still have in stock in Newegg...