6230: bad things about 4.28

With all the talk about the new 6230 firmware (4.28), I would be
interested in hearing the things that get worse when upgrading.
Here's a start:

- phone memory decreases to 3.7 Mb (has anyone figured out why
yet?)
- default tones are erased, 4.28 comes without a gallery
- "When turning my phone off or on, I get a square with a question
mark in it." (not sure what that means, or if it's actually
a problem).

Anything else?

Thanks,
-m
2 answers Last reply
More about 6230 things

    Just found this (sorry for the formatting):

    This list might be here already but here are some of the changes/fixes in v. 4.28 firmware (found from HowardForums):

    + More choices for "Right selection key" (Alarm, Bluetooth, Calculator, Contacts, Timer, Create MMS, E-mail, Gallery, Home, Infrared, Radio, Wallet)
    + More choices for "Go to key", 45 shortcuts to choose from.
    + Unable to delete file bug fixed
    + Memory status displays correct free/used/size for 512MB MMC cards
    + Phone memory (A: ) and MMC card (B: ) are now displayed as two diff drives instead of MMC appearing under Gallery when browsing your phone with Nokia PC Suite.
    + Phone remains silent when using mp3 as ringtone and silent profile has been selected.
    + Better photo quality.
    + Faster java.
    + More stable Bluetooth connection.
    + Switching between headphones and speaker when headphones are connected works now.
    + E-mail client has gotten a face list. Nicer GUI now.
    + Improved beach rally.
    + Sound quality is better with musicplayer
    + Handling of the MMC card also is better.
    + Soundclicks when listening to music writing sms and between songs is now remowed.
    + Music player pause/start leads to skipping bug fixed.
    - Memory status displays incorrect free/size for internal memory even though you still have access to all 8MB. Nokia PC Suite displays correct values.
    - Takes longer to save a photo.
    - Automatic volume control no longer available.
    - MobiMB/OPM2 can no longer access the Apps and Games dirs.
    - Video recording playback is worse.
    - Gallery listing still shows wrong size for 512MB MMC cards

    ---------

    Changes/improvements made from MCU SW version 3.15 to version 4.28:

    Call and Network Management
    - Improvements in network selection and coverage handling
    - Fixed dialing number (FDN) is possible also using the complete number
    - Possible to attach an image to a contact in phonebook

    SMS
    - It is possible to listen music and create SMS at the same time, without
    hearing the keypad tones

    Browser (GPRS/WAP/XHTML)
    - Improvements in browsing large pages and browsing always online (ALO) and have more than 1 page open

    Java/Applications/Games
    - New faster JAVA e-mail client.Using active settings instead of the first set
    - Java application or game (*.jar)>64 kb can be played
    - Improvements for Beach rally II, especially in location a correct date is displayed in high score
    - Improvement when reading corrupt JAR file
    - Connect Via in Midlet options is enforced for the Midlet when connected to Chat

    Bluetooth/Irda
    - Improvements in finding and pairing with devices and keeping the connection via Bluetooth
    - Possible to send more than one file via IrDA

    Other changes
    - Picture set as a wallpaper can be deleted
    - Improved handling of 6F11 -file by the phone
    - Improved handling of call divert indicator in the SIM
    - Improved spelling for Spanish, Thai, Russian, Hungarian, Hebrew, Chinese, Indonesian and Estonian
    - Update for Russian T9
    - General improvements on audio e.g. clicking sounds and click before tones played are now removed
    - Music player: Improvements in audio quality
    - Improvements in handling of MMC, renaming, moving files, formatting and error messages
    - Improvements in handling MIDI tones for MMC
    - Memory full improvement when try to record voice
    - Support for operator menu added

    Operator list (name changed)
    - FI elisa => elisa
    - IND INDOSAT => INDOSAT

    > With all the talk about the new 6230 firmware (4.28), I would be
    > interested in hearing the things that get worse when upgrading.
    > Here's a start:
    >
    > - phone memory decreases to 3.7 Mb (has anyone figured out why
    > yet?)
    The 'memory decrease' is only due to an error in the free memory reporting.
    You get the same amount of free memory as before, just the phone reports it
    incorrectly.

    > - default tones are erased, 4.28 comes without a gallery
    As long as you back up the contents of the phone before you get it flashed,
    you will be able to restore the gallery(and all the tones) afterwards.

    > - "When turning my phone off or on, I get a square with a question
    > mark in it." (not sure what that means, or if it's actually
    > a problem).
    No idea what that is, unless it's asking for a security code or somthing...

    I have been told that although 4.28 increases the photo quality, the video
    quality is decreased
    Have also heard RUMOURS that 4.28 can cause problems with BT carkits

    Regards,

    ChrisM.

Nokia Phones