6230: bad things about 4.28

Last response: in Brands
August 28, 2004 8:53:09 PM

With all the talk about the new 6230 firmware (4.28), I would be
interested in hearing the things that get worse when upgrading.
Here's a start:

- phone memory decreases to 3.7 Mb (has anyone figured out why
yet?)
- default tones are erased, 4.28 comes without a gallery
- "When turning my phone off or on, I get a square with a question
mark in it." (not sure what that means, or if it's actually
a problem).

Anything else?

Thanks,
-m

More about : 6230 bad things

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:58:32 PM

Just found this (sorry for the formatting):

This list might be here already but here are some of the changes/fixes in v. 4.28 firmware (found from HowardForums):

+ More choices for "Right selection key" (Alarm, Bluetooth, Calculator, Contacts, Timer, Create MMS, E-mail, Gallery, Home, Infrared, Radio, Wallet)
+ More choices for "Go to key", 45 shortcuts to choose from.
+ Unable to delete file bug fixed
+ Memory status displays correct free/used/size for 512MB MMC cards
+ Phone memory (A: ) and MMC card (B: ) are now displayed as two diff drives instead of MMC appearing under Gallery when browsing your phone with Nokia PC Suite.
+ Phone remains silent when using mp3 as ringtone and silent profile has been selected.
+ Better photo quality.
+ Faster java.
+ More stable Bluetooth connection.
+ Switching between headphones and speaker when headphones are connected works now.
+ E-mail client has gotten a face list. Nicer GUI now.
+ Improved beach rally.
+ Sound quality is better with musicplayer
+ Handling of the MMC card also is better.
+ Soundclicks when listening to music writing sms and between songs is now remowed.
+ Music player pause/start leads to skipping bug fixed.
- Memory status displays incorrect free/size for internal memory even though you still have access to all 8MB. Nokia PC Suite displays correct values.
- Takes longer to save a photo.
- Automatic volume control no longer available.
- MobiMB/OPM2 can no longer access the Apps and Games dirs.
- Video recording playback is worse.
- Gallery listing still shows wrong size for 512MB MMC cards

---------

Changes/improvements made from MCU SW version 3.15 to version 4.28:

Call and Network Management
- Improvements in network selection and coverage handling
- Fixed dialing number (FDN) is possible also using the complete number
- Possible to attach an image to a contact in phonebook

SMS
- It is possible to listen music and create SMS at the same time, without
hearing the keypad tones

Browser (GPRS/WAP/XHTML)
- Improvements in browsing large pages and browsing always online (ALO) and have more than 1 page open

Java/Applications/Games
- New faster JAVA e-mail client.Using active settings instead of the first set
- Java application or game (*.jar)>64 kb can be played
- Improvements for Beach rally II, especially in location a correct date is displayed in high score
- Improvement when reading corrupt JAR file
- Connect Via in Midlet options is enforced for the Midlet when connected to Chat

Bluetooth/Irda
- Improvements in finding and pairing with devices and keeping the connection via Bluetooth
- Possible to send more than one file via IrDA

Other changes
- Picture set as a wallpaper can be deleted
- Improved handling of 6F11 -file by the phone
- Improved handling of call divert indicator in the SIM
- Improved spelling for Spanish, Thai, Russian, Hungarian, Hebrew, Chinese, Indonesian and Estonian
- Update for Russian T9
- General improvements on audio e.g. clicking sounds and click before tones played are now removed
- Music player: Improvements in audio quality
- Improvements in handling of MMC, renaming, moving files, formatting and error messages
- Improvements in handling MIDI tones for MMC
- Memory full improvement when try to record voice
- Support for operator menu added

Operator list (name changed)
- FI elisa => elisa
- IND INDOSAT => INDOSAT
September 1, 2004 2:56:29 PM

> With all the talk about the new 6230 firmware (4.28), I would be
> interested in hearing the things that get worse when upgrading.
> Here's a start:
>
> - phone memory decreases to 3.7 Mb (has anyone figured out why
> yet?)
The 'memory decrease' is only due to an error in the free memory reporting.
You get the same amount of free memory as before, just the phone reports it
incorrectly.

> - default tones are erased, 4.28 comes without a gallery
As long as you back up the contents of the phone before you get it flashed,
you will be able to restore the gallery(and all the tones) afterwards.

> - "When turning my phone off or on, I get a square with a question
> mark in it." (not sure what that means, or if it's actually
> a problem).
No idea what that is, unless it's asking for a security code or somthing...

I have been told that although 4.28 increases the photo quality, the video
quality is decreased
Have also heard RUMOURS that 4.28 can cause problems with BT carkits

Regards,

ChrisM.