Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please help first time computer builder

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2012 9:43:21 PM

Dear experts,
my old laptop was broken that I will need to get a new system.
I was thinking that I would get a good gaming desktop and a tablet.
Just to note, I already have keyboard, mouse, speaker, and a monitor, so all the difficult decision comes down to the system parts.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eTrU

The above is the link to my ideas about parts for the new system.
To give you guys some ideas about what I want from the system, I would like a system that would allow me to play system demanding games for 3~4 years without upgrading. Currently, I would like to play Witcher 2, Skyrim, and BF3 at max settings.
Some additional features I would want are a BD reader (perhaps burning as well) and a SD card reader (these are optional though).
I need bluetooth and wi-fi, and that is the reason I chose the motherboard. (Also windows 8 ready)
The price range I am thinking of is in between $2000~2500 (for the desktop alone), but I would prefer if it would fit under 2300 or 2400. Yet, of course, lower price is always better if it is possible.
If I were to overclock (not sure I will, but I may want to), will I need a cooler, or do I need one even without it? If it is necessary or highly recommended, what would be a good cooler that you guys can recommend?
In addition, I am also concerned about the noice/heat level from the system. Would there be some solution to this issue too?
I am planning to buy the parts within a week, so fast response would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading a long post, and please give me your ideas.

More about : time computer builder

Best solution

August 17, 2012 11:23:57 PM

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($559.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Formula ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($349.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($95.94 @ Adorama)
Total: $2253.84

this will run anything you ever want for years to come, is overclockable and has a good cooling option and by useing the 2011 socket sets you up for the future.
August 17, 2012 11:36:08 PM

Thx for the input. Does the board support Wi-Fi and bluetooth? I need both of them..... If it does not, can you recommend me parts that will allow me to use those as well?
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 12:04:00 AM

sw72hw said:
Thx for the input. Does the board support Wi-Fi and bluetooth? I need both of them..... If it does not, can you recommend me parts that will allow me to use those as well?

for gaming you don't really want to use wifi but if you have your heart set on it you can pick up a cheap wireless nic card and a Bluetooth dongle for next to nothing
m
l
August 18, 2012 12:31:15 AM

DrossUSA said:
for gaming you don't really want to use wifi but if you have your heart set on it you can pick up a cheap wireless nic card and a Bluetooth dongle for next to nothing

I live in an old apartment that I can only hook up internet in the kitchen... Don't ask me why, they built it somehow like that. That is the reason that I need wifi. Anyway, is any of the wireless nic card and bluetooth dongle good, or is the a one that you can recommend?
m
l
August 18, 2012 1:14:07 AM

sw72hw said:
I live in an old apartment that I can only hook up internet in the kitchen... Don't ask me why, they built it somehow like that. That is the reason that I need wifi. Anyway, is any of the wireless nic card and bluetooth dongle good, or is the a one that you can recommend?

I dont have any specifics no but just check out newegg and look at the reviews
m
l
August 19, 2012 2:46:34 AM

I just have one more question to ask, if that's ok. I was looking at some silent case and found a silent case called "Fractal Design Define R4". I was wondering if I could get this case instead, or the heat may be a a problem. Also, your original recommendation of NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case, is it a silent case?
m
l
August 26, 2012 1:16:56 AM

Best answer selected by sw72hw.
m
l
!