Tags:
  • Radeon
  • AMD
  • HD
  • Diamond Multimedia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2012 12:10:20 AM

Ok so hopefully someone can give me some advice on this. Recently i bought 2 Diamond multimedia AMD HD 7770 double black diamond edition. When anything that requires graphics short of youtube the screen blacks out for a few seconds and loses sound for that time. when the screen comes back up the report "Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered". This will happen every 5-20 minutes until the driver doesn't recover and the system locks up.

As for specs on the computer they are
Processor: AMD phenom 2 x61055t
motherboard: msi 890fxa-GD70
Ram:16 gb cosair vengeance 1600 (4 sticks at 4gb each)
Power supply: TR2 RX 1200w/1000w
graphics cards: 2 Diamond multimedia AMD HD 7770 double black diamond edition

Now for the list of things i have already tried. I have tried various drivers (each time using driver sweeper in safe mode to clean away) ranging from 12.2 up to and including the beta driver 12.6, Ran all updates pertaining to both windows and motherboard,tested the cards in both crossfire and not in crossfire (including doing this for each install of each driver) Checked each part other than the cards for defectiveness ( don't have another cpu that has a power supply that can test them), ran a series of stress tests on the cards which all passed with no problem, made sure ALL drivers in the computer were up to date. I've probably done more at this point that i have forgotten about

So now for the actual question. Does any one have any idea how i can fix this, or at least something to try that might work. If you need more information in any way ill do my best to get the info needed

More about : troubles crossfire amd 7770

June 29, 2012 1:35:00 AM

It could be the issue of the cards crossfiring, meaning they probably aren't working properly together with these specific two cards. Did you overclock the cards?

You already mentioned you tested each card individually?
m
l
June 29, 2012 1:38:56 AM

I am willing to bet that it is likely all software related, do you have another drive just for backup use that has windows installed?
m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2012 2:40:11 AM

fantastik250 said:
It could be the issue of the cards crossfiring, meaning they probably aren't working properly together with these specific two cards. Did you overclock the cards?

You already mentioned you tested each card individually?

I have tried using the cards individually and still same issue so i dont think its crossfiring thats causing the issue just realised when I looked at the post that I left that out

Also I do have a backup drive that has windows.
m
l
June 29, 2012 2:43:20 AM

Try updating your Motherboard BIOS and chipset driver, if any.
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:00:12 AM

Already done all available motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:14:45 AM

Which slots have you tried the cards in? You may want to try PCI-E slot number 1 and PCI-E slot number 5. That will give you a x16/x16 configuration.

If it still doesn't work try the PCI-E slot 3 and slot 6 it will do a x8/x8 configuration.
m
l
June 29, 2012 2:44:13 PM

ive run them in both 1 and 5 but not the three and six but woulden't that cause more of a problem than fix one?
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:41:10 PM

No, it wouldn't cause a problem. You should actually try it, that is what troubleshooting is for.
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:12:56 PM

no putting them into the other ports did not fix the problem tried them all individually and together
m
l
June 29, 2012 10:58:09 PM

Well, AMD just released the full version of 12.6 (no longer in beta), it has more fixes for 7xxx series. Try that, if not they have a 12.7 driver you can also.
m
l
July 1, 2012 2:03:23 AM

Ok well wiped the drive completely reinstalled everything and the problem has lessened greatly but its still there. I am running with 12.6 and either that or the fact that it is basically brand new windows now has turnd the problem from happening every 5-10 min to once every 1-2 hours but when it does the entire system now locks up but no BSOD.

One other thing I'm noticing with the two cards the activity is only on one of the cards even when the other one is at 90% capacity shouldn't there be some activity on the other card when the other one is that high?
m
l
July 1, 2012 5:37:03 AM

Actually do you use afterburner to check actual load for the GPU's in crossfire? Because what happens is when you go alt+tab out of the game, it will then put load on one card. So since afterburner is a time graph you can see the past minute or so to see the actual GPU load.
m
l
July 6, 2012 3:23:22 AM

ok so been a little while seemed to mostly have worked out (still getting slightly odd readings from afterburner but not abnormally so). However this isnt the case just had another series of the "driver AMD driver has stopped responding" so continuing with the list all the stuff we've talked about before but add a complete wipe and reinstall of windows ( not even a backup just took the disks and installed fresh) then went through and updated/ installed all Drivers relating to the computer followed by the graphics driver.
m
l
July 6, 2012 3:50:27 AM

A fresh install is good. Glad that your issue is not as bad as it was before.
m
l
July 7, 2012 11:53:48 PM

Ok well this is starting to piss me off so while the problems lessened while playing a few games there no better on others and there not games that should stress the drivers much atall from what i can tell. At this point i don't know what to say with all the things i have tried is there anything else that i can still do to try and fix this problem?
m
l
July 8, 2012 12:29:52 AM

Well, another suggestion is to see the mode of the PCI-E slot whether it's x4, x8, or x16 (this is not the size of the PCI-E slot) it's how much data it can move.

When you turn on crossfire, open this program called GPU-Z
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Then you can look at what mode it is, for example PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16
You can look at the second card by going to the bottom of that windows and click on the second card (where the little black arrow is).

Post what you see.
m
l
July 8, 2012 12:55:57 AM

So the mode is PCI-E 3.0x 16@x2 1.1 for one card while the other is reading PCI-E 3.0x 16@x8 1.1 when the test runs they both jump to PCI-E 3.0x 16@x6 2.0
m
l
July 8, 2012 12:59:06 AM

Okay, in the Catalyst Control Center, is Graphics overdrive enabled? Make sure you turn it off.
m
l
July 8, 2012 1:13:17 AM

Overdrive is off now and hers the shots from gpu-z

m
l
July 8, 2012 2:23:02 AM

Okay, now my previous stated if you have Graphics Overdrive enabled in Catalyst Control Center. Make sure it is off.

And, I am thinking that your PCI-E slot 1.1 is causing the trouble for the crossfire.

Someone can confirm if they want.
m
l
July 8, 2012 3:11:36 AM

well when i took those shots after i had turned off overdrive and as for the 1.1 it only runs like that while nothing is active when it goes to any tests or games it goes to 2.0 but ill take another look into it
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:21:37 AM

Well the reason why someone would enable Graphics Overdrive in the first place is to increase the fan speed. Now that's pretty stupid, because you're only increasing fan speed, not actually overclocking anything. So I believe fan speed should have it's own category and not within Graphics Overdrive Settings. Anyway, I have the same issue where my driver crashes (in CrossfireX) with Catalyst 12.4. I updated to 12.6Beta, games just froze and the screen went black, then I updated to 12.6 full driver, still the same thing, then 12.7 beta, even worse, because it even did it on the desktop lol. The only one that works for me is Catalyst 12.3. If I install crossfire profiles along with 12.3, it will start freezing up again. So yes, it's something AMD did on their end that jumbled things up. SO yes, I currently have 12.3 installed by itself, nothing else, and everything works fine, including the game with most of the problems, The Witcher 2 EE.
m
l
August 11, 2012 3:57:27 PM

I'm running dual 7770s and have found I black screen with a screensaver enabled sleep freezes the computer and using a slideshow for a wallpaper bsods. I've tried everything and the issue is now fixed I haven't had driver crashes or bsods or freezes in a month. First thing is disabling ulps disable sleep disable hibernate screensaver and rotating wallpapers. Go to power settings in ms control panel set it to performance then go to advanced and disable everything that saves power.
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:39:56 PM

The problem is the cards themselves. When the 7770 was launched, many companies had very high overclocks on them. The problem is, due to variations in the actual manufacturing, most 7770 series cards are not stable over 1080mhz core speed. The Diamond Double Black is overclocked to 1150mhz, as this makes most of the cards very unstable. It is possible to find a card that will clock that high, or higher, but on average 1 out of 5 will be stable at that speed. I hope this helps.
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:25:39 AM

Jasmith709 said:
Ok well wiped the drive completely reinstalled everything and the problem has lessened greatly but its still there. I am running with 12.6 and either that or the fact that it is basically brand new windows now has turnd the problem from happening every 5-10 min to once every 1-2 hours but when it does the entire system now locks up but no BSOD.

One other thing I'm noticing with the two cards the activity is only on one of the cards even when the other one is at 90% capacity shouldn't there be some activity on the other card when the other one is that high?

your not alone, after readin through your sitch. i too am having the EXACT problem. the whole 90 percent one card work load as the other is just like whatever.. have you yet found a solution? my email is ( jiynks@ymail.com )
m
l
September 9, 2012 4:06:35 AM

I have had the dual 7770 set up for about three months, I have issues with my crossfire. I have asked quite a few times here in forum, asked techs at stores and went in to a computer store and spoke with the owner. Everybody agrees its software. These guys on forum will have you running around in circles duoble checking everything for weeks. So far what happens to me is that my tower does not shut off fully once my dual crossfire interaction to accomodate video processing due to the accessing of high def video encoding for games or whatever takes place for the video output on the screen to start processing any ( in this case LOTRO ) game i start up and play. I detect the vid cards properly in the troubleshoot rundown on start up everything works good, i can surf i can access basic windows etc. But when I access my game, the processing ramps up and the dual cards start talking and i can run the game all night, but when i shut down everything shuts down powers down except fans and lights in the tower and the power supply is still up. So I have to hard shutdown. Then I let the computer rest a few minutes then re-enage the start button. Turn it up to where the password screen is then let it run a few minutes to clear the hard shutdown errors in the programing. Then I access thered shutdown option button at the right hand bottom of my password screen, let the computer completely shutdown on its own. Then I can start my computer up and turn it on and surf program, and game, once, then I have to start the whole process back over again to clear the errors after gaming and get a complete and proper shutdown to full off in proper sequence. I have the catalyst 12.6 i beleive, i have the 12.4 on another hdd i have been using for troubleshooting. I have let it rest a few weeks as i have found NO one who even attempts at fully answering my issue. I am hoping the new 12.8 maybe catalyst will work. But I am unshure as to fully erase my running catalyst to install the new one or just hit update to apply the change. everything i so touchy. it runs good when running, but the shut down issue is to simple to be left unanswered. i am an uneducated man, who put this machine together, and everything but the programming that came from educated men does not work.
m
l
September 9, 2012 4:25:17 AM

...well actually everything works great except THE programming that came from educated sources... it does NOT work. I have a cross fire V 8120 gigabyte oc 7770 hd x2 kingwin 1000w xformer 500 gb barracuda w/ cat 12.4 and samsung ssd 128gb w/ 12.6 cat win 7 16gb ballistix sport kaspersky rog virus kuhler 920 and its dashoard and asus dvdrw and Lord of the Rings is the only game, on my hdd i have crysis 2 also, itwould lock up everyonce in a while, but ihave made progress on my ssd drive so i have stayed there, it runs the 12.6, but i am on hyatus? at this point....
m
l
September 10, 2012 3:49:12 AM

Oh thats crosshair V lol
m
l
October 1, 2012 2:57:41 AM

AMD Catalyst 12.9 Beta is out since yesterday, you might want to check those out see if they fixed anything...I haven't tried them yet, because I have my two old HD5770s installed and they work perfectly. My two Visiontek HD7770 GHZ Edition are currently boxed away in my closet, I haven't pulled them out since last month, I'm just waiting for the driver to get fixed =(
m
l
October 19, 2012 11:20:08 AM

I had this Problem too.
here is my sytem
AMD FX-6100
ASUS M5A97
2x 7770 Diamond Double Black
8gb RAM DDR3 Mushkin
650W PSU

Here is what you can do. Make sure you have gone to Diamond and Update the bios. It should be under downloads. Then get MSI Afterbuner and increase the voltage and the power. Power @ 10% Voltage @1187. This works for me because I had NFS The Run and it would crash at a specific point. If you dont want to overvolt then you can down clock it for stability and better temps. Hope this helps ya out
m
l
!