How do I disable hyperthreading for my i7 3770k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kajunchicken

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Both assumptions are false. Hyperthreading doesn't lower game performance. Intel's architecture was specifically designed so that two threads don't get put onto one core unless all the other cores are filled up. Hyperthread also has no effect on the processor's temperatures. Since there is no physical cores, there is no extra heat generated.

If you want proof look at the i5's and the i7's TDP, both are the same. The ONLY reason to disable hyperthreading would be to test clock-for-clock performance against another CPU. I'm guessing you won't be doing this so leave hyperthreading on.

If, after ALL of this you still want to disable it, there is a setting in your BIOS that you can use.

Hi,
I own the i7-3770K.
I can also confirm that there appear to be NO games that hyper-threading is causing any issues with.

Spider-Man Web of Shadows required HT to be disabled or it was unplayable, however on my i7-3770K it works great with HT still enabled (no idea why).
*I do have Windows 8 though so it's possible Spider-Man WOS may still need HT disabled.

Temperature:
The difference is next to NOTHING.

SUMMARY:
Leave HT on at all times. Most or all past issues with HT appear to be resolved.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Hyper threading doesn't effect games also it doesn't effect temperatures so not sire where yoi got those facts from. Also hyper threading increases basic performance by about 20% Keep HT on , if you don't want it should of got an i5

InvalidError

Titan

Intel's architecture has absolutely no control over what threads get scheduled to which hardware thread, this is entirely at the OS' sole discretion.

Hyperthreading DOES have an effect on heat output. The throughput gain from HT comes from the CPU's execution scheduler multiplexing instructions from two threads to maximize the number of active execution ports and execution units on every clock tick. With a single thread, the 5-wide output ports average only 3.5 instructions per clock while with HT, it should be able to achieve around 4.2 based on the a typical 20% worst-case gain. More active execution units per clock = more logic and DFFs switching = more power = more heat.

As for why i7-3770 has the same TDP as i5-3570k, do note that the i5-3570k is nowhere near 77W even under full-load (my i5-3470 peaks around 30W) and that 77W includes the IGP most of us on THG aren't using, so there is plenty of room under the 77W TDP to accommodate the ~10% extra core power draw (most of the instruction scheduling logic operates at full power regardless of whether HT is enabled or not) that might be caused by HT.

klepp0906

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
lol sometimes I wonder if people just make stuff up. Talk straight out of their cornhole to try and sound brighter than they really are.

I mean - HT has no effect on temps.... Wut?!? Lol.

Anyhow, don't disable Ht. You gain too much from having it enabled. Yes it will afford you 10c off the top and another 100mhz on your oc but that doesn't come near touching the trade offs.

Disabling ht is for extreme overclockers who want to register that super high number. Impractical and in and of itself it's the only reason they do so. For goodness sake they disable the majority of the cores on the chips too. They achieve super high overclocks but in the end the performance is worse.

Then like others have said , if you want less cores for less heat or want no HT, buy a chip without those features. Save you some bread too!

Tbh the 20th anniversary pentium is stupid fast for what it is. They're overclocking really well - I'm considering one as a toy. (Although I have too many toys already so I doubt the wife is gonna let that fly)

nokturrduk84

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Hyperthreading affects on some games & it affects in good way. In some new heavy CPU intensive games it helps & is superior to i5. Take Crysis 3, Battlefield 3 or 4 & almost all new games will benefit of it.
Here, let me show you screenshot of my i7 3770k during Battlefield 3:
http://i.imgur.com/ZxSAtVf.jpg

As you see game uses all 8 threads. So disabling it is a most stupid thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.