Custom Build Newbie! HELP!

Niiccckkkk123

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hey guys,

Need your advice big time... finished my computer build yesterday and it was all running fine... until today!

It suddenly started performing slow and would freeze over and over. Managed to fix that problem for now.

It's newest trick is that it turns itself on a minute or so after shut down. i'v check the BIOS and there are not automatic switch on's.

I'm wondering if I installed the drivers incorrectly?

Is there a way to wipe your motherboard and start again?

My system consists of:
NZXT Phantom Case
Intel i-5 3550
Zalman CNPS990 Cooler
ASUS P8Z77-V
MSI FROSR II GTX 560 Ti Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 4
Samsung 128GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black Hard Drive
Corsair AX 650 PSU

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick.

g-unit1111

Titan
You can't wipe your motherboard's BIOS but you can set it to defaults - have you done that?

Also have you tried reinstalling Windows? Could be just a simple couple of drivers that need replacing.

Niiccckkkk123

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hey,

Thank for the reply.

No haven't set it to defaults, how do I do that?

Out of the whole build the thing I struggled with most was what drivers to install!
On the ASUS website there are so many, for example there were 6 different drivers under the "SATA" heading and 2 different ones under the "BIOS" and "Chipset" drivers.

Haven't tried reinstalling windows either.

Not sure how to approach the problems.

Start over again? Wipe all the hard drives, ect?

I have no idea how to do that though.

Nick.

g-unit1111

Titan

Did your motherboard come with a CD / DVD? I'd say try wiping Windows and installing the drivers *ONLY* from the included CD before you go any further. Chances are good that you downloaded the wrong drivers.

Niiccckkkk123

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah it did but I didn't use it because I thought it was best to download the newest drivers straight from the ASUS website?

Will wiping Windows remove the current drivers?

Please could you give me some steps on how to do this?

Thanks.

Nick.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's not always a good idea as it could cause conflicts exactly like you're describing. Wiping Windows will clean out everything - drives, files, everything.

To do that you put in your Windows disc, set your DVD drive as the primary boot device in the BIOS, and then do a quick format of your HD and let it install from there.

TRENDING THREADS