Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Getting A PSU

Last response: in Components
January 1, 2013 8:43:10 PM

Hello,
I just made a thread with the same kind of question but i can't delete it and i would like to know i can delete threads. But let's go to the point, very soon I'm getting a PC set and my problem is getting the PSU. From what i hear and read about PSU's is that the quality matters.

My PC set is this:
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4 Ghz
(8.0GB) 2x4 GB DDR3 1600MHz
MSI GeForce N660GTX Ti PE OC 2GB
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H

I got a reply on the thread that i wish to delete saying that 450w is enough. Thing is i want to overclock, not as soon as i get the PC because I'm new to PC's, I'm used to have consoles. I think 450w + overclock won't be enough and my brother is helping me choosing parts for the PC and he said that a PSU from 700w to 800w will be enough. Have anyone ever heard of Inter Tech? They make PSU's. I was thinking of getting Inter Tech CobaNitrox 700w 85+ Silver. But on my other thread the person that replied to me said that he/she had never heard of it. So i searched a bit and and found OCZ 750w Fatal1ty, is it good? Could you guys also tell me the difference between Plus series and non Plus series?

Note: I live in Iceland at the moment and in Iceland there isn't much of choice there are only OCZ's, Corsair, Thermaltake, Fortron and Cooler Master. So try to ignore the idea of buying something outside the country because it's going to take alot of time to get here and I'm buying the PC this saturday. Thank you in advance :) 

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 9:01:05 PM

450W? You're gonna need at least 500W to power that rig with the 660ti. 700-800W is way too high - you'll lose power efficiency. Never heard from Inter Tech, don't buy it. I recommend only name brand PSUs - SeaSonic, Corsair, XFX, OCZ, and Thermaltake.
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 9:26:46 PM

Technically 450 watts is sufficient for the GTX 660 TI but since your overclocking you may want to bump up the wattage of the power supply. In addition, you should pay more attention to the amps on the 12v rail (power supply) when figuring out power consumption of the video card rather than the entire wattage of the power supply. Now out of the available power supplies available in your country, stick to Corsair or OCZ or maybe if available, the Cooler Master Silent Pro series and Thermaltake Toughpower series.
Related resources
a c 260 ) Power supply
January 1, 2013 10:16:24 PM

payturr said:
450W? You're gonna need at least 500W to power that rig with the 660ti. 700-800W is way too high - you'll lose power efficiency. Never heard from Inter Tech, don't buy it. I recommend only name brand PSUs - SeaSonic, Corsair, XFX, OCZ, and Thermaltake.

Hi - Altho I don't recommend Allurez buy a 700-880w PSU, it is not
necessarily true that he would lose efficiency by doing so.
If he were running his sys at max usuage (heavy gaming), he would
in fact be in the 'sweet spot' (40% - 60%) of a 700w PSU's
efficiency, and would have the added benefits of less
heat and less noise as the PSU wouldn't be under stress.

With that said, I still don't recommend 700w, a good
550w would allow for OC & headroom for his current rig.

Tom
January 1, 2013 10:33:33 PM

My rule of thumb when building a new PC w/new power supply is not load the PSU to more than 50%. This provides optimal efficiency, maximum longevity and lowers chance of failure for the power supply.
You system will draw about 300W at load, so I recommend a 600W unit. More common rating in this range are 550W and 650W. The 650W will provide you with future headroom as well.

If you want maxim efficiency, go with a 550W gold unit, if more headroom is desired, go with a bronze rated 650W.
!