forgive me for my stupidity, but how does upnp help me?

Last response: in Networking
September 18, 2004 11:19:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,comp.dcom.xdsl,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

Hi,

I was just wondering how uPNP helps me?

I have Windows XP and a UPNP Router and UPNP DSL Modem but I still have
problems sending files with MSN Messenger and AOL Messenger

so if UPNP doesn't help me send files thru a firewall, then whats the point?
i don't get it

thanks

More about : forgive stupidity upnp

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 1:16:35 PM

"Koolaid" <someone@example.net> wrote:

>I have Windows XP and a UPNP Router and UPNP DSL Modem but I still have
>problems sending files with MSN Messenger and AOL Messenger
>
>so if UPNP doesn't help me send files thru a firewall, then whats the point?
>i don't get it

Are you sure uPnP is activated on the router? It doesn't always default to
activated.

Are you sure you have the services turned on in your computer? In addition to
uPnP, there's also a discovery service that needs to be on.

Finally, do you have a software firewall running? Not all firewalls listen to
uPnP.
September 19, 2004 9:55:37 PM

"Koolaid" <someone@example.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering how uPNP helps me?

It allows anything whether good or bad to control your firewall. The first
thing I do is turn it off...

> I have Windows XP and a UPNP Router and UPNP DSL Modem but I still have
> problems sending files with MSN Messenger and AOL Messenger
>
> so if UPNP doesn't help me send files thru a firewall, then whats the
point?
> i don't get it
>
> thanks

September 20, 2004 12:33:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,comp.dcom.xdsl,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

In article <uuudnTN1cJWXndPcRVn-iQ@adelphia.com>, George says...

> It allows anything whether good or bad to control your firewall. The first
> thing I do is turn it off...

If you have anything bad on your side of the router, turning off UPnP is
futile. If you don't have anything bad on your side of the router, leaving
UPnP on is helpful in some cases.

I have it on. Nothing bad on my side of the router. Nothing from the
Internet side can access my router for UPnP control.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,comp.dcom.xdsl,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

The problem that you have could be related to the MTU size, as your ISP is
AOL, change MTU to 1400....

Should work.

!