Boot splash screen removed

I recently purchased a new PC with Windows XP Pro. My former W98
enabled one to view the boot up options (safe mode, normal, etc).

Currently, I have my motherboard's logo/splash screen appear
momentarily. How does one remove this? If removed, would I see the
boot up options instead?

Thanks in advance.

Al

Hi Al,

As the system first starts, start tapping the F8 key. This will take
you to the Advanced Boot Menu.

You can try pressing the Esc key to remove the splash screen.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

A Boe" <"\"m-in-sfca/*No*Spam*\\\" wrote:
> I recently purchased a new PC with Windows XP Pro. My
> former W98 enabled one to view the boot up options (safe
> mode, normal, etc).
> Currently, I have my motherboard's logo/splash screen
> appear momentarily. How does one remove this? If
> removed, would I see the boot up options instead?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Al

It's called the Boot Menu and this has nothing to do with your BIOS
screen.

Windows does not display the Boot Menu normally unless a key is pressed
during bootup (F8). The Boot Menu allows you to selectively boot Windows in
different modes. Including Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode
with Command Prompt, Enable VGA Mode, Last Known Good Configuration,
Directory Service Restore Mode, Debugging Mode, Enable Boot Logging, Starts
Windows Normally, Reboot and Return to OS Choices Menu. And if a multiboot
setup, the Boot Menu lists a choice of Operating Systems that you can
bootup.

If there is only one value in the [Operating Systems] section in the
Boot.ini file, the Boot Menu is not displayed. Windows starts immediately
because there is no choice to be made.

If you need the Boot Menu to be displayed, edit the Boot.ini file and create
a second entry in the [Operating Systems] section. You can copy the
existing entry in that section. After you add a second entry, the Boot Menu
is displayed and the Timeout value is used.

BIOS
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/BIOS.html

Entering the BIOS Setup Program
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/setupEntering-c.html

Getting into Windows Safe Mode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02

The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;289022

Boot Menu Is Not Displayed and Timeout Value Is Not Used
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;242443

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uy6EeP1bFHA.456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
A Boe" <"\"m-in-sfca/*No*Spam*\\\" <"\"m-in-sfca/*No*Spam*\\\""@comcast.net>
hunted and pecked:
> I recently purchased a new PC with Windows XP Pro. My former W98
> enabled one to view the boot up options (safe mode, normal, etc).
>
> Currently, I have my motherboard's logo/splash screen appear
> momentarily. How does one remove this? If removed, would I see the
> boot up options instead?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Al

Hi,

The motherboard/chipset logo appears during the POST. If you want to see the advanced bootup options
(like safe mode etc), keep tapping the F8 key before the Windows XP logo appears. This will take you
to the advanced bootup options.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> It's called the Boot Menu and this has nothing to do with your BIOS
> screen.
>
> Windows does not display the Boot Menu normally unless a key is pressed
> during bootup (F8). The Boot Menu allows you to selectively boot Windows in
> different modes. Including Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode
> with Command Prompt, Enable VGA Mode, Last Known Good Configuration,
> Directory Service Restore Mode, Debugging Mode, Enable Boot Logging, Starts
> Windows Normally, Reboot and Return to OS Choices Menu. And if a multiboot
> setup, the Boot Menu lists a choice of Operating Systems that you can
> bootup.
>
> If there is only one value in the [Operating Systems] section in the
> Boot.ini file, the Boot Menu is not displayed. Windows starts immediately
> because there is no choice to be made.
>
> If you need the Boot Menu to be displayed, edit the Boot.ini file and create
> a second entry in the [Operating Systems] section. You can copy the
> existing entry in that section. After you add a second entry, the Boot Menu
> is displayed and the Timeout value is used.
>
> BIOS
> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/BIOS.html
>
> Entering the BIOS Setup Program
> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/setupEntering-c.html
>
> Getting into Windows Safe Mode:
> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02
>
> The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081
>
> HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;289022
>
> Boot Menu Is Not Displayed and Timeout Value Is Not Used
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;242443

Wes,

Thanks for replying. However, my motherboard's LOGO was ENABLED within
the bios. I disabled it. When booting up, I initially have a black
screen with the various options for Safe Mode, etc.

Your boot.ini suggestion was helpful though. I reduced the 30 second
delay to only 10. Thanks for the speedup suggestion.

Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The motherboard/chipset logo appears during the POST. If you want to see the advanced bootup options
> (like safe mode etc), keep tapping the F8 key before the Windows XP logo appears. This will take you
> to the advanced bootup options.

Within my BIOS, I found where I could DISABLE my motherboard's (DFI Lan
Party nF4) LOGO screen. By doing so, when booting up, I do see a black
screen with options to enter safe mode, etc, automatically. There is not
a need for entering F8.

You bet. Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.