Sign in with
Your question

Data cable position

Last response: in CPUs
January 1, 2013 9:37:00 PM

I am attempting to install an old ide hard drive from my first computer, a Dell XPS R450, in my Dell Dimension 5150 desktop. I had intended the optical drive to be the 'master' and the hard drive as the 'slave'.
It has been suggested I should set the hd as master and the optical drive as slave. It appears the ribbon cable will not allow this configuration; it would require twisting of the cable which would be difficult. Re-seating of the optical drive to a lower position is not possible with this cpu cage.
I am also concerned if this optical drive has the jumper config to be set as a slave. Are these drives generic? This hd was rescued from my first computer, as mentioned above.
I am reluctant to use my external drive cage as this would make the data transfer even slower.

Any input would be appreciated.

More about : data cable position

a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 10:45:52 PM

Hi :) 

Longer cables are available (to cure the twisting problem)

And you can SEE if the jumper is set to master or slave and move it as you wish...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 10:53:16 PM

dell sets there drives to cable select and the master slave issue is where they are on a ide cable. if your new system has two ide ports put the old hard drive as a master or cable select on the other ide port.
m
l
!