Experiences with the CoolMax ZP-750B?

sepp155

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I've been searching high and low and even though I have found some bad reviews and horrible test results a few years ago on the CoolMax CUL-750B (shown here) :
http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=CUL-750B&details=overview&subcategory=140mm&category=modular

I was wondering if anyone has had any actual experience with this different PSU by CoolMax, the ZP-750B shown here:
http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=ZP-750B&details=overview&subcategory=140mm&category=80plus

They seem to be different even beyond the "LED vs/ non-LED fan " detail.

The one which burned out in testing on hardware secrets was the CUL-750B

Thanks!

Hi - it is obvious you are trying to justify buying this
If the warranty is solid you might be OK, who knows.
I hope for your sake that's true.

Tigers don't change their stripes.
It is unlikely this coolmax is materially different from any of the others.
I suspect that they are no recent reviews of it,
are because jonnyguru, Hardware Secrets, Hard Ocp, etc
know that it's not much different from the others and are not
wasting their time testing it.

Realhardtech doesn't even list Coolmax in their PSU review database.

sepp155

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Yes, justifying my purchase would be nice, but not the most important thing for me.

I'm still trying to find out if anyone has had ACTUAL experience and not interpretations based on the lack of evidence (reviews).

My main concern is that the PSU doesnt burn out in such a way as to damage the rest of my hardware. A failed test on a different PSU doesn't really tell me what would/could happen with this particular one.

That's why I'm asking around. :)

What he's saying is that coolmax hasn't made a decent power supply yet, so what in the world makes you think this one is going to be? That's what it boils down to.

You don't need actual experience, if you look at the history of the company - it's like buying a green pinto and expecting THIS one to not blow up because you've only heard of the other colors blowing up.

sepp155

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Actually, in keeping with that metaphor, its' more like asking if a different design, current model Ford will explode just because someone tested a Pinto three years ago and it burned up.

"The history of the company" is never a good substitute for actual experience. If it were, no one would ever need to test anything new from companies they love or hate, would they? :)

Has anyone had experience with this particular model, the ZP-750B?