Internal wireless adapter doesn\'t let connect to internet ( no idea why )..so i

august2011

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hello - I have an HP Laptop PC running the Windows Vista Premium OS. The PC was purchased new in 2008 so it's now 4 years old and just recently will no longer allow me to connect to the internet wirelessly.

The internal adapter is as follows: Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter.
Driver version: 7.6.0.114 build by: WinDDK
Device Manager states it's working properly. Conflicting device list: no conflicts

( Just as a sidenote, there are 2 other laptops used in the home, also a desk top..all of those connect wirelessly with no problem.)

I'm not sure how to proceed. Was thinking IF the internal adapter is in fact damaged ( even though device mgr. says otherwise ) can I use an External wireless adapter via the USB port ? If that is ok to do, can you advise me on the correct steps to do so?

Thank you so much for your help.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

You must check and see whether the wireless card is ok. Open 'Device Manager' and delete the wireless card. Re-start the computer. Chances are that Windows will 'Find' the wireless card and install it.

If you still have the problem, you can do this by swapping the card from the other PC that connects wirelessly without a problem.

USB wireless adapters also work quite well. I have 2 desktops with internal wireless cards; Linksys WMP 600N - and two desktops with Linksys USB wireless adapters WUSB100; also working well.