1gb or 2gb of Vram

Status
Not open for further replies.

rheiss591

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Hello everyone! I have decided to build an Alienware M14x R2 and I am stuck on which video card I should choose. Both cards are NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with optimus the only difference is one comes with 1gb of DDR5 memory and another with 2gb. At first I just figured I would get the graphics card with 2gb; however, upon further research I have heard that depending on your display you may never utilize the other gigabyte, therefore, paying for nothing. The screen will have a resolution of 1366X768 so a 720p display. I do not plan on using multiple monitors, only the one attached to the laptop. I have read that for 1366X768 resolution screens there is no need to have 2gb of dedicated Vram, is that true? I do not want to purchase the computer and then regret not getting the upgrade. I will mainly be using for school but I would love to be able to play Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 at max settings. With 1gb of Vram do you think I will be able to play those games with maximum graphical settings? It will have a 3rd generation I5-3210m processor, 6gb of DDR3 ram-1600MHz,500gb 7200 Rpm hard drive SATA 3Gb/s. With the 1gb graphics card should this pc be powerful enough to play those two games at max settings? I appreciate anyone who helps me understand this. I know my way around the software of a pc but when it comes to internal components I am at a loss :) .

Solution
for a 720p display, chances are you'll never need that second GB of memory, so I would just save a few dollars and go with the 1GB

as for D3 and starcraft 2, they'll run just fine maxed out. I have an old m11x and it can already run those games on medium pretty smoothly :)

best of luck and happy gaming, people may say Alienware's overpriced, but there's value in having a portable gaming machine :)
for a 720p display, chances are you'll never need that second GB of memory, so I would just save a few dollars and go with the 1GB

as for D3 and starcraft 2, they'll run just fine maxed out. I have an old m11x and it can already run those games on medium pretty smoothly :)

best of luck and happy gaming, people may say Alienware's overpriced, but there's value in having a portable gaming machine :)

Solution

rheiss591

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I am new to this site and I love the quick responses and courtesy of this community. I am going to take your advice and just go with the 1gb option.

I too have heard several people saying Alienware is overpriced but I love the look of them and the level of personalization that comes along with it (mainly the different backlit keybord colors :) ). I am also aware that I could build a more powerful laptop for a fraction of the cost but I do not do that because I am not educated enough when it comes to building a computer. Though I believe I could do it if I did research because I am usually pretty good at opening up technological devices and fixing them but it is also uncharted territory and with school, work and a child I just do not really have the time. In the end I am buying an Alienware because I love the look of it and I have always wanted one since I first laid eyes on one way back in a PC mag when I was a child. This will be my first one and I am ecstatic. Again, I appreciate your help.

rheiss591

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

So is this GPU not that good then? I have a hard time understanding the different computer components and what makes them better. I am slowly learning but still do not completely understand. I was under the impression that this GPU is pretty good considering it is DDR5 instead of DDR3. Is this a reasonable assumption? Until just recently I was going to build one of Sony's 15.5 S Series models, until I realized that for around 10 dollars more I could get an Alienware M14x R2 with the same specs except for the fact that the GPU ram offered by Alienware is DDR5 as opposed to Sony's DDR3. Is DDR5 Vram better than DDR3 Vram?

rheiss591

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
In addition to my question, if i decided to upgrade my screen resolution from 1366X768 to 1600X900 would the 1gb card still be enough rendering the second gig pointless or would the second gig come in handy with the increase in screen resolution? And would the 1gb GPU be good enough to run Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 on max settings at this increased resolution? I appreciate all your help.

the only time 2gb will ever be touched is usually when:

1. your doing professional rendering
2. your on max resolution playing a game that has moments of vram usuage(i.e bf3 when in helecopter looking at whole map)
3. multiple screens

in general though, 1 gig is more than enough for 1600x900ish and below.

Yes, gddr5 is better.

Also, it's not a bad GPU, it's near the top end of laptop GPUs. But when you talk about memory usage, most people here will relate to desktop experiences, and compared to desktop ones, that GPU is at the bottom of the mid range. Nonetheless, it will game fine for your purposes

rheiss591

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
okay, I see. Well then I will be going with the Alienware then. I believe I am going to upgrade my resolution to 1600X900 based on what I have read online about the stock resolution being just horrible. Thanks to all of you I know that I have chosen the right settings to fulfill my needs. Thank you everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.