Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

~1000-1100 gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 18, 2012 3:13:32 AM

Building a gaming pc for brother. I'd like input on if it's a good build, compatibility, and if it is future proof. Will the PSU and CPU I chose be enough when I buy another GTX 570 in the future? I know I only got a 500gb HDD, but I'll add more in the future; same with case fans.
Approximate Purchase Date: In a week or 2

Budget Range: ~1000-1100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes


Do you need to buy OS: Yes (student discount)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, ncix, microcenter

Location: chicagoland area

Overclocking: in the future

SLI or Crossfire: in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.93 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.93 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1068.76
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-17 23:03 EDT-0400)

More about : 1000 1100 gaming build

August 18, 2012 3:19:54 AM

I'd spend $40 extra and get the 660 Ti which beats even the 580 in power consumption, performance, and price. There're 2 Microcenters right in Chicagoland, and if you get your mobo+CPU there, you get $50 off. Great build.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 3:39:53 AM

obsama1 said:
I'd spend $40 extra and get the 660 Ti which beats even the 580 in power consumption, performance, and price. There're 2 Microcenters right in Chicagoland, and if you get your mobo+CPU there, you get $50 off. Great build.


wow, did not know microcenter did that. Is that a standard promo from them cause I looked at the website and it was expired http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/save40_p...
m
0
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 3:43:24 AM

It says so in their latest catalog. They still do it.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 3:55:29 AM

of the 660 ti brands, among evga, msi, and galaxy, which do you recommend?
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 4:03:20 AM

Get the 3570k instead of the 2500k. It is essentially the Ivy Bridge version of the 2500k and comes with the typical Ivy upgrades (Will enable the PCI-3 on your Z77 board, performs a bit better, lower power draw). It is more optimized for your Z77 motherboard as well.
Intel i5-3570k. $190
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

I avoid EVGA graphics cards because they use reference coolers, which are louder and dont cool as well as custom designs. Gigabyte, ASUS, Sapphire, MSI all have good cooling on their cards.

But I would recommend moving from the GTX570 all together, for $250 the HD7850 is a better option. It uses less power, very good overclocker, even the reference models stay cool, and has better support for multiple monitor gaming (though if you were you would want something a bit beefier).
Gigabyte HD7850. $260
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Or take Obsama's advice and go up to either a 660Ti (or a HD7870 in my opinion). Both are around the same performance wise, but the 7870 will be a bit cheaper and can overclock very nicely while only a few 660Ti's on the market can tweak voltages (which is needed for big overclocks).

EDIT: Of the 660ti brands, go with MSI. As far as I know, they are the only manufacturer that has included support for voltage tweaking into the card.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 4:20:53 AM

chpstckdrpkck said:
of the 660 ti brands, among evga, msi, and galaxy, which do you recommend?

MSI. :D 
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 5:31:43 AM

MSI.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 5:59:22 AM

is my 600W PSU enough for 660ti or 7870; and for future SLI/CF?
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 6:02:30 AM

Yes; and no.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 6:56:43 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $136.98 save: $18.00 - $10.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $139.98 save: $15.00 FREE SHIPPING
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $424.98 save: $10.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $189.99 (In Store Pick Up Only) Chicago Stores
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $34.99 - $29.99 after $5.00 rebate FREE SHIPPING
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-B... $17.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-21-5-Inch-Full-HD-Monito... $136.40 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor (Black) | LED Backlit with 50,000,000:1 ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio; Full 1080P with HDMI

Total: $1,081.31 *not including shipping & rebates


http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... $90.76 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 5:16:57 PM

Why_Me said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $136.98 save: $18.00 - $10.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $139.98 save: $15.00 FREE SHIPPING
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $424.98 save: $10.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $189.99 (In Store Pick Up Only) Chicago Stores
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $34.99 - $29.99 after $5.00 rebate FREE SHIPPING
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-B... $17.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-21-5-Inch-Full-HD-Monito... $136.40 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor (Black) | LED Backlit with 50,000,000:1 ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio; Full 1080P with HDMI

Total: $1,081.31 *not including shipping & rebates


http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... $90.76 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack



That's a sweet build. I got the same Mobo and CPU, but I got them from Micro Center for super cheap.

If he goes to Micro Center, they will give him the CPU for $189.99 and the motherboard for $84.99 because they take off $50 for buying matching Mobo's and CPU's. That might be better than getting the motherboard and 660 Ti together from newegg.
m
0
l
!