Sign in with
Your question

How are these specs for a gaming-only PC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2012 4:32:52 AM

Hi all!

So recently, after some debate here on Tom's Hardware, I decided to contact a local computer shop whose owner i'm well acquainted with to request a gaming desktop PC to be made to be as economic as possible while maximizing performance, both system-wise and graphics-wise.

I told him my budget would be around USD$480-500 and he said he'll see what he can do.

So he threw together this rig:

------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, minimum clock speed around 2.66Ghz (he says he has set the max overclock to be 3Ghz and I wouldn't really need more than that anyway)

3gigs of RAM,
160GB hard disk

GeForce GTS250

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)

550W Power Supply
------------------------------------------------------

I've been running Heroes of Newerth at maxed out graphics, anti-aliasing on, reflections maxed out, everything and no issues whatsoever.
Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 run very well, no issues, can play for 6-7 hours straight without so much as a hiccup.

Now, it would seem that everything is set and I got a great deal and have nothing to complain/worry about, but i'd like to get the communities opinion on this.

Are the specs I listed (and at that price) suitable for a medium-high end gamer?

I don't intend to go into Crysis or MW3 at full-blast and expect it to run at 110%, my demands are not very high or fussy, I just want great performance for great games.

Such as Starcraft 2, Dota 2, Counter-Strike Source, Minecraft, you get the gist.

Anyway, look forward to hearing!

More about : specs gaming

a c 91 U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 4:39:31 AM

First of all, which country are you in? that would help me estimate prices and availability of alternative parts a lot better.

the reason is the gts250 is a fairly low end card. but the rest of your system all look pretty decent, so it's possible the 250 was the most the guy can squeeze out of your budget
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 4:59:36 AM

E7200 and gts250? These are like 3-4 year old parts. Was everything new or did you get used parts? I would ask for my money back. There is much better hardware available. For a budget rig you would be much better off with an AthlonII X3 for about $77, and a more modern graphics card. If you payed $500 for this pc you got taken
m
l
Related resources
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 5:00:40 AM

Well if all that rig is going to do is gaming then I would not count on that as a med to high but just med. You could of got a better CPU and a GPU for your budget at $500.00.

If you were to try BF3 you would see what I am talking about. At least 6gig of RAM a 4 core CPU. The GPU could have been better like a AMD 7770 or a 6870 or the nvidia GTX 460 or 560.

Depending on the PSU what brand it is. The wattage is ok for all the cards I listed and CPU. If you are going to stick with the games you listed and some flash games maybe evern a rpg or rps games.

Then that rig will do for you. I am sorry I feel that you could have done a lot better for the money you spent. But if it works for you that is what really counts. I have sort of the same problem.

Everything was good on my rig untill I bought the worst gaming cards that nVidia had ever put out so I to have the same problem when it comes to the new games out today. I do wish you the best and good luck to you and your entry level gaming rig.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 5:13:56 AM

well, I was speaking from the point of view that the store owner charged a fee for building the computer and installing the software... which would've really deducted from the OP's budget

but you guys do make a point, at least in the US, you can buy a pre-built from Dell or HP with better specs
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 3:50:29 AM

I know just what you are saying and it is sad that someone would put together a rig and charge more money for a sad system. It that store guy was his friend then he should have done the labor for free.

Only charge him for the parts. I guess that goes on in other countrys because money is so tight. I guess we don't know how lucky we have it in some countrys

Anyway that is what I would have done even for somebody I know but don't hang out with. I guess that is just me.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 3:55:47 AM

DM186 said:
I know just what you are saying and it is sad that someone would put together a rig and charge more money for a sad system. It that store guy was his friend then he should have done the labor for free.

Only charge him for the parts. I guess that goes on in other countrys because money is so tight. I guess we don't know how lucky we have it in some countrys

Anyway that is what I would have done even for somebody I know but don't hang out with. I guess that is just me.

lol, same here, as long as the kid doesn't mind me being slow... I love building as a hobby and it's always a useful learning experience. I've built many rigs and taught many people how over the years...

anyways, OP, if you can return that rig, I would do it... unless prices for parts in your country are dramatically different from prices in the US/Europe etc.
m
l
July 7, 2012 3:22:22 AM

Hey guys!

Sorry for sooo much confusion and misconception, EXTREME TYPO on my end.

I live in Singapore, I meant SGD$480-500. (we don't have "taxes" per se, but prices are generally higher here cuz of the import cost)

And I only paid $400 in cash, the rest was a trade-in of an old Compaq laptop that I found in my store room.

And yes the parts are all brand-new, came with warranty and he says all future service is free of charge.

Overall the opinions I got for this price (in SGD, not USD, sorry!) was that it's a fairly good deal.
I also specified to him I wouldn't be going into Crysis, BF3, etc., mostly sticking to Starcraft 2, L4D2, the older stuff, maybe Diablo 3.

So with this revision, what do you guys think?

SO SORRY AGAIN FOR THE CONFUSION!
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 3:33:58 AM

well, as GI-Jones has pointed out, your CPU and GPU are like 3-4 year old parts... I don't know what prices are like in singapore, but I still feel that he could've done better. I mean, I probably would've paid $100 for those plus the motherboard tops... not to mention those components doesn't support directx 11 games
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 4:02:35 AM

cavemanzipper said:
Hey guys!

Sorry for sooo much confusion and misconception, EXTREME TYPO on my end.

I live in Singapore, I meant SGD$480-500. (we don't have "taxes" per se, but prices are generally higher here cuz of the import cost)

And I only paid $400 in cash, the rest was a trade-in of an old Compaq laptop that I found in my store room.

And yes the parts are all brand-new, came with warranty and he says all future service is free of charge.

Overall the opinions I got for this price (in SGD, not USD, sorry!) was that it's a fairly good deal.
I also specified to him I wouldn't be going into Crysis, BF3, etc., mostly sticking to Starcraft 2, L4D2, the older stuff, maybe Diablo 3.

So with this revision, what do you guys think?

SO SORRY AGAIN FOR THE CONFUSION!

Did you change something or are you talking about the money? You should get a quad core CPU and a 6770 or a 6870 GPU. The PSU will work and the ram but the CPU and the GPU should change.

Maybe you could go back and ask for better? If you can't change CPU then just do the 6770 and If you OC the CPU you could get a 6850. Of course this is my opinion.

If you can't do any of that then start to save up and start with the GPU. When you start to play the games you will see the problems that we hope you don't have to go through. Good luck to you.

m
l
!