How do I fix my ping or what ever is wrong with my (ingame) connection

maffo22

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hi I have a problem with my ping and 'Jitter'

My ping is 301 and my jitter is 118 (tested on Pingtest.net)

When Im browsing the internet or watching a video on YouTube, my internet connection is just fine, but when I play any online game like StarCraft II or COD Modern Warfare it just gets horrible.

I have LAN connection and my computer is in a "souterrain" (Basically a basement), and the router is 1 floor above.

Any idea what's causing this? And how to fix it?

- T.

maffo22

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I think it is packet loss, because on Pingtest.net it had an error scanning my packet loss (how do I show picture?)

G

This topic has been moved from the section Toms Network to section Networking by Grumpy9117

ender2003

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
When you are gaming, do you have anything running in the background? Bittorent downloads, streaming music or videos, Windows Updates, Antivirus Updates, anything like that will eat up your bandwidth.

When you say that watching videos on YouTube is fine, that may not mean a whole lot because I think YouTube offers different quality videos based on your bandwidth.

If you open a command prompt and run "ping 4.2.2.2 -t" (gives you a continuous ping), do you see a lot of failed pings?

maffo22

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

I dont have anything running in the background while I'm gaming and the command prompts says that the time is 200-400 and sometimes I see some 30-100 or just above 100 but more 200-400.

Any ideas?

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
If you are doing speed tests on the computer, and they are fairly consistent then i would not think it was a problem with the connection. (in addition to ping tests are you also doing ISP speed tests?)

And is it just the connection with games, or are you getting any other problems like lag or graphic pixelation which could just be you having the game settings higher than your PC or graphics card is able to handle well.
Not sure about Starcraft but i would think something like COD multiplayer would be pretty demanding on the graphics and processor.

maffo22

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

I did it on speedtest.net and it was 397. I just bought a new pc and it handles it easily.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
What are your speed test numbers (not the ping and jitter).

Things like YouTube and Netflix wouldn't really be much of a strain on your connection like games will be.
If your new computer is a gaming rig (high end processor, good brand name graphics card, good amount of brand name RAM) then the connection is the only thing i could think of as far as why games would have a problem where regular internet stuff wouldn't.

maffo22

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Well I have another pc that has 40 ping, I thought it might be the cable , that there is something wrong inside...