Closed Solved

MSI 790GX-G65 AMD 790 Socket AM3/AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU

Hello,
I need an upgrade, bad, from my 9800 GTX card Bgfoot (516 mb?) to play online games at it's best. I know the video card is way older then the system. I'm running 550 watts in a tower that has 4 fans. I think it is a 2.0 PCIexpress 16x on the card slot, can't be 100% sure. Can anyone suggest a way more modern card to use in the system without replacing everything? 4 Gigs ram and sata 500 gig harddrive if that helps. Thanks!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 790gx socket phenom black edition
  1. HEY FIRST TELL US WHAT BRAND PSU YOU HAVE AND WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET
  2. Full system specs and budget pls
  3. ScottEBurden said:
    Hello,
    I need an upgrade, bad, from my 9800 GTX card Bgfoot (516 mb?) to play online games at it's best. I know the video card is way older then the system. I'm running 550 watts in a tower that has 4 fans. I think it is a 2.0 PCIexpress 16x on the card slot, can't be 100% sure. Can anyone suggest a way more modern card to use in the system without replacing everything? 4 Gigs ram and sata 500 gig harddrive if that helps. Thanks!

Budget, well not trying to spend more then $200 as I don't want a card that outdates the system.

Specs:
    Corsair VX550W 550W Power Supply
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 CPU
    WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD
    OCZ 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666 Gold Low Voltage
    MSI 790GX-G65 AMD 790 Socket AM3
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case

All this was bought in late 2010 and the specific old card is:
    BFG GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link

I was really hoping some older, but better cards for around $100 would be a nice upgrade as that grafic card was bought in late 2008 and I was trying to build a system that could use it :)

Thanks!
  4. Best answer
    Stretch your budget about 20 more bux and get a 560ti it would be a good balance for your system especially if you raise the multiplier a bit on that cpu fpr a little overclock
  5. Best answer selected by ScottEBurden.
  6. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards AMD Graphics