Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Thermal paste

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2013 1:44:13 AM

Hi i was wondering when it comes to thermal paste does it matter what type you use i have heard that arctic silver works best from silicon and i am wondering does it mater as long as you have thermal paste of some type on the CPU's thank you for reading this and i am much appreciated if you could give me the answers i need?!

More about : thermal paste

a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 1:48:23 AM

Yes, type matters - don't buy cheap stuff like Cooler Master paste, it's GARBAGE. Arctic Silver isn't the best, but it's definitely better than silicon based paste. And you NEED to have a paste on your processor, heat wouldn't transfer otherwise. I recommend MX-4 - great performer, affordable price of 10$, no metals so it's not conductive.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 2:04:03 AM

payturr said:
Yes, type matters - don't buy cheap stuff like Cooler Master paste, it's GARBAGE. Arctic Silver isn't the best, but it's definitely better than silicon based paste. And you NEED to have a paste on your processor, heat wouldn't transfer otherwise. I recommend MX-4 - great performer, affordable price of 10$, no metals so it's not conductive.

HEY, dont bash coolermaster, its keeping my 3570k @ 4.5ghz stable! >:) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 388 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 2:56:43 AM

Arctic Cooling MX-4 is the best, hands down.

I just did the research on that:
- curing not required
- very long lasting (cheaper stuff breaks down)
- excellent heat transfer
- non electrical conductivity (in case you spill of spileage)
m
l
a c 135 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 2:56:50 AM

Arctic Silver 5 is the standard, and Arctic Cooling MX-4 is about the best it gets without getting into the liquid metals. (Which are highly conductive and liquid, making it extremely easy to short out your motherboard.)

EDIT: Haha, I guess I kinda got beat twice, there. Yeah, buy MX-4. It's worth it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 3:39:02 AM

payturr said:

Wat? Coolermaster make one of the best thermal pastes I've ever used. I want to see where you seemed to get the idea that it sucked.

Anyway, going back, AS5 was the best, but today it really isn't. Tuniq TX-4 is what I use currently, and its great. On their website, which I'm not sure if its biased or not, it beats AS5 according to their charts.
m
l
January 4, 2013 4:51:49 PM

Wow thanks guys you really gave me a lot of insight on what's the best paste to use!
m
l
January 5, 2013 5:08:56 PM

Well i got some paste and it's got 10% silver in it would that be good enough cause i'm using it on two quad core xeons on my server board and i just wanted to know would it make the heat transfer good and keep the temps down too minimum and operation temps?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2013 6:34:20 PM

thebobby1979 said:
Well i got some paste and it's got 10% silver in it would that be good enough cause i'm using it on two quad core xeons on my server board and i just wanted to know would it make the heat transfer good and keep the temps down too minimum and operation temps?

Yes, you will be fine, just dont over or under apply.
m
l
January 5, 2013 6:41:21 PM

Okay thank you for the information!
m
l