thebobby1979

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hi i was wondering when it comes to thermal paste does it matter what type you use i have heard that arctic silver works best from silicon and i am wondering does it mater as long as you have thermal paste of some type on the CPU's thank you for reading this and i am much appreciated if you could give me the answers i need?!

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Yes, type matters - don't buy cheap stuff like Cooler Master paste, it's GARBAGE. Arctic Silver isn't the best, but it's definitely better than silicon based paste. And you NEED to have a paste on your processor, heat wouldn't transfer otherwise. I recommend MX-4 - great performer, affordable price of 10$, no metals so it's not conductive.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

HEY, dont bash coolermaster, its keeping my 3570k @ 4.5ghz stable! >:)

Arctic Silver 5 is the standard, and Arctic Cooling MX-4 is about the best it gets without getting into the liquid metals. (Which are highly conductive and liquid, making it extremely easy to short out your motherboard.)

EDIT: Haha, I guess I kinda got beat twice, there. Yeah, buy MX-4. It's worth it.

JJ1217

Honorable

Wat? Coolermaster make one of the best thermal pastes I've ever used. I want to see where you seemed to get the idea that it sucked.

Anyway, going back, AS5 was the best, but today it really isn't. Tuniq TX-4 is what I use currently, and its great. On their website, which I'm not sure if its biased or not, it beats AS5 according to their charts.

thebobby1979

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Well i got some paste and it's got 10% silver in it would that be good enough cause i'm using it on two quad core xeons on my server board and i just wanted to know would it make the heat transfer good and keep the temps down too minimum and operation temps?

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Yes, you will be fine, just dont over or under apply.