Sign in with
Your question

Rare GPU issue...

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2012 4:59:06 AM

So here are my specs:

Mobo - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power

CPU - Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

and the GPU - XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

So i built my first computer with these parts about 2 weeks ago and after only a few days the power supply stopped working, so i took the entire thing apart and RMA'd the power supply. Today the power supply had returned... and with everything in place, my PC will not start. I took it apart to where it was only the mobo, and the cpu, and it turned it on and displayed the error for missing RAM. I test, and it succeeds. I place everything back in the case - thinking it was a freak act of God, but when i try to turn on the PC it will not start. So i take the GPU out, and the PC then would start. I try again with the GPU placed into the motherboard, but not connecting the GPU to the PSU, and the PC would not start still. So with that in mind it seems that the GPU is somehow faulty.

Maybe its very obvious to some, but I am a first time builder and am apprehensive to now send the video card back for a replacement after just doing so with the power supply. Could i may have done something silly? or should i get a new card?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

More about : rare gpu issue

a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2012 5:07:25 AM

You should get a replacement for your video card.... did you ground yourself before touching anything?
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 2:19:08 PM

I made sure to touch my case before touching anything, plus i used an anti-static strap as well. i guess there's always the possibility that i still messed it up somehow, just not that likely. I'm going to try it a few more times before i send anything back.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2012 4:15:33 PM

well the place you sent the computer back to get the psu replaced could have messed with it(sorry if im wrong about you bringing it there, it says your brought the whole thing back :/ )

also have you tried another card because it could be a mobo socket problem try in another pci-e socket and maybe it will work
m
l
August 19, 2012 1:23:49 AM

sorry if i confused you, i sent it back to newegg. And yes i did try both pci-express slots, so I mean it COULD be broken slots, but how likely both of them would be broken and the video card be O.K.??
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2012 4:12:44 AM

yeah... are you sure that your psu is working properly or can support how much the system needs?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2012 9:42:15 AM

Psu should support the system fine, assuming its working fine ofc, which as an rma unit it 'should', have you tried the card in another system at all?
get a friends Pc and throw it in to see how it fares in there
Moto
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2012 2:55:48 PM

Yeah it is a very strange problem... ti does sound like a gpu problem though, like moto said if you can test it on another computer do that, or try the integrated graphics(if that is not on your system then dont mind that)
m
l
!