Do I need a new PSU & Case? HALP!

hatman5700

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello all!

I've just put in most of the orders for all my parts, and as it stands I'm looking at having the following:
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
GPU: GTX 680 MSI Lightning
MBO: ASRockk Z77 Extreme6
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4x4) 1866
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro

Parts I'm still considering changing:
PSU: ULTRA x4 750W Modular Power Supply
CASE: CoolerMaster CM690 Black ATX Case SLI Ready

Just wanted to know if I should upgrade my PSU to a more reknown brand (I believe the current 750W should suffice from a wattage perspective but I've heard negative things about my current PSU - though I've used it for 2 years no problems so far...)

And lastly the case! I like my CoolerMaster case I suppose but I really want something that looks modern and has a better view into my insides! I just dumped all this money into upgrades and don't want to be shy about showing it with my case :)

Any suggestions?
I'm starting to consider getting the CoolerMaster HAF X 942...

hatman5700

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for hasty replies.

@Goodeggray: Interesting website, though it looks like I'll need to know more about PSU's before making educated buys.
That said, I did go ahead and look up my current PSU on that site and it seems to have solid stats as per what various posters suggest your PSU should have (80PLUS [bronze in my case], 12v 60AMPS+ [I have 60Amps], and appropriate Wattage - The websites calcs I'm using still put me well below 750W)
Also looking through one of the reviews, it was rated 9/10 :)
Is there anything specific that is wrong with this current PSU / something I need differently for my new setup that I'm not seeing?

@Ninja_: That's definitely a little better looking that what I have at the moment haha...
But I am still going to try to find something that gives a better view to the innards!
I want a kick-arse side panel window.

hatman5700

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Does anyone happen to have a link to benchmarks of air performance for full tower cases?

I may not need it at this point, but the extra space and wire-hiding ability of most full tower cases seems appealing to me now...

EzioAs

Distinguished
Just thought I'd mentioned this but among my favorite full towers are the Corsair 800D (Which isn't really the best for air cooling), but maybe you'd like to take a look afterwards. Another fav is the CM storm stryker which is great for air cooling.

For psu, you will have plenty of power to spare with a 650W unit. I recommend the Seasonic SS-660XP if you're into modular units and 80+ platinum efficiency.

You can read and hear bad things about almost any power supply, try the Corsair Forums

The X4 can provide more than enough juice, got a decent review at HH and has a lifetime warranty to back it up, no point swapping it out unless it's actually neccessary

hatman5700

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks Delluser, that gives me some peace of mind.
I have a friend that has worked in geeksquad, applestore, and now retail Microsoft and he mentioned that power-supply related issues are amongst the lowest in incident types for hardware issues reported (for whatever that is worth to my own conscience) =).

As for the case:
I'm starting to really hone in on the following 2 (I want good airflow, but I REALLY WANT a side panel and a cool look overall):
1. CM HAFX 942
2. CM Storm Stryker

I'm leaning to the Stryker because it has the full coolness look, seems to have better features (a handle for one), and is priced lower.

Anyone have a weigh-in for alternatives or anything else I should consider?
I'm so close to just pulling the trigger on this snow-white beauty haha