Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer starts for half a second, then shuts off

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2012 5:39:20 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to posting on these forums, but I have found a lot of useful information here, so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I built my desktop roughly 10 months ago, and it has been working pretty well since then. The main parts I bought are listed below, except for the case and heatsink. I had been using the stock heatsink (which was extremely loud) and a case from a friend, but received an aftermarket heatsink and a new case yesterday.

After attempting to rebuild the computer in my new case, it won't do anything except start the fans for half a second and shut off after I hit the power button. I took the computer in to a shop this morning, and they said the motherboard could be short-circuiting from touching the case. This did not work, and I've tried unplugging/re-plugging everything, to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated; thank you!

Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition
Mobo: MSI 890FXA-GD65
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

(new) Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212
(new) Case: Rosewill Challenger
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2012 7:46:28 PM

Did you put the standoffs in between the case and the motherboard?
m
l
August 19, 2012 9:06:25 AM

Yeah, the standoffs were in. I went to a friend's house today to test the parts, and we came to the conclusion that my motherboard's dead. It doesn't POST with either of our PSUs, but luckily it's still under warranty, so I'll give MSI a call later.

Thanks for your input, though, I appreciate it. :) 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2012 11:28:24 AM

No problem. It's nice having a friend to troubleshoot your stuff with. Did you verifty the mobo didn't take the cpu or ram out with it?
August 20, 2012 4:26:47 AM

I did not, but I'll be able to check them once I can get a new board. Hopefully they're fine, do you think they could have been shorted out as well?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2012 6:03:16 PM

More than likely they aren't but it's a warm fuzzy to check.
m
l
August 27, 2012 4:15:45 AM

Best answer selected by blyskyn.
m
l
!