Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hiding Inactive Icons

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:43:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

For some reason, my computer doesn't allow me to hide the inactive icons in
the notification area. I do everything the help says (right click on the
taskbar, click properties), but the option for 'Hide Inactive Icons' is
grayed out, unclickable. Is there a solution for this? It's somewhat annoying
having a quarter of my taskbar taken up by the notification area... Thanks in
advance

More about : hiding inactive icons

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:53:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Troubleshooting the Notification Area
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na


"NoDay16" <NoDay16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EA4E71A7-C8A5-4438-BDED-8123C8639BD0@microsoft.com...
> For some reason, my computer doesn't allow me to hide the inactive icons in
> the notification area. I do everything the help says (right click on the
> taskbar, click properties), but the option for 'Hide Inactive Icons' is
> grayed out, unclickable. Is there a solution for this? It's somewhat annoying
> having a quarter of my taskbar taken up by the notification area... Thanks in
> advance
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:53:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thank you for the help, but I'm afraid I don't know what to do. I did the
first one, it ran and did its thing, but that didn't fix the problem. I tried
the second one, and the following error msg came up:
"C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application" (both options - close & ignore - close the regedit box). What do
I do now?

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> Troubleshooting the Notification Area
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
>
>
> "NoDay16" <NoDay16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:EA4E71A7-C8A5-4438-BDED-8123C8639BD0@microsoft.com...
> > For some reason, my computer doesn't allow me to hide the inactive icons in
> > the notification area. I do everything the help says (right click on the
> > taskbar, click properties), but the option for 'Hide Inactive Icons' is
> > grayed out, unclickable. Is there a solution for this? It's somewhat annoying
> > having a quarter of my taskbar taken up by the notification area... Thanks in
> > advance
>
>
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:01:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS
and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose Close to terminate the application.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program

Replace the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by copying a backup copy
located in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
(NB: %windir% is typically C:\Windows)

Start>Run and type it this without the quotes:
"cmd /c copy /y %windir%\repair\autoexec.nt %windir%\system32"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314106
Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows



16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

note:-
Also can be caused by a Trojan installing a file windupdater.exe and
creating registry entries for that file.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618...

AVAST (free antivirus software) can be the cause if SP2 is installed:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRV...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314495
How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP


"NoDay16" <NoDay16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:334F47E5-2EDD-45AF-BFCE-EB7BA40BE25D@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for the help, but I'm afraid I don't know what to do. I did the
> first one, it ran and did its thing, but that didn't fix the problem. I tried
> the second one, and the following error msg came up:
> "C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application" (both options - close & ignore - close the regedit box). What do
> I do now?
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>
>> Troubleshooting the Notification Area
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
>>
>>
>> "NoDay16" <NoDay16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:EA4E71A7-C8A5-4438-BDED-8123C8639BD0@microsoft.com...
>> > For some reason, my computer doesn't allow me to hide the inactive icons in
>> > the notification area. I do everything the help says (right click on the
>> > taskbar, click properties), but the option for 'Hide Inactive Icons' is
>> > grayed out, unclickable. Is there a solution for this? It's somewhat annoying
>> > having a quarter of my taskbar taken up by the notification area... Thanks in
>> > advance
>>
>>
!