Hiding Inactive Icons

For some reason, my computer doesn't allow me to hide the inactive icons in
the notification area. I do everything the help says (right click on the
taskbar, click properties), but the option for 'Hide Inactive Icons' is
grayed out, unclickable. Is there a solution for this? It's somewhat annoying
having a quarter of my taskbar taken up by the notification area... Thanks in
advance
3 answers Last reply
More about hiding inactive icons

    Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)

    Troubleshooting the Notification Area
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

    "NoDay16" <NoDay16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For some reason, my computer doesn't allow me to hide the inactive icons in
    > the notification area. I do everything the help says (right click on the
    > taskbar, click properties), but the option for 'Hide Inactive Icons' is
    > grayed out, unclickable. Is there a solution for this? It's somewhat annoying
    > having a quarter of my taskbar taken up by the notification area... Thanks in
    > advance

    Thank you for the help, but I'm afraid I don't know what to do. I did the
    first one, it ran and did its thing, but that didn't fix the problem. I tried
    the second one, and the following error msg came up:
    "C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running
    MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    application" (both options - close & ignore - close the regedit box). What do
    I do now?

    "TaurArian" wrote:

    > Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)
    >
    > Troubleshooting the Notification Area
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
    >

    > "NoDay16" <NoDay16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > For some reason, my computer doesn't allow me to hide the inactive icons in
    > > the notification area. I do everything the help says (right click on the
    > > taskbar, click properties), but the option for 'Hide Inactive Icons' is
    > > grayed out, unclickable. Is there a solution for this? It's somewhat annoying
    > > having a quarter of my taskbar taken up by the notification area... Thanks in
    > > advance

    c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS
    and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose Close to terminate the application.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program

    Replace the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by copying a backup copy
    located in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
    (NB: %windir% is typically C:\Windows)

    Start>Run and type it this without the quotes:
    "cmd /c copy /y %windir%\repair\autoexec.nt %windir%\system32"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314106
    Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    note:-
    Also can be caused by a Trojan installing a file windupdater.exe and
    creating registry entries for that file.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618.749324fe%40posting.google.com

    AVAST (free antivirus software) can be the cause if SP2 is installed:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314495
    How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP

    > Thank you for the help, but I'm afraid I don't know what to do. I did the
    > first one, it ran and did its thing, but that didn't fix the problem. I tried
    > the second one, and the following error msg came up:
    > "C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running
    > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    > application" (both options - close & ignore - close the regedit box). What do
    > I do now?
    >
    > "TaurArian" wrote:
    >
    >> Hide or Show Inactive Icons in the Notification Area (Line 53)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting the Notification Area
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
    >>

    >> "NoDay16" <NoDay16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > For some reason, my computer doesn't allow me to hide the inactive icons in
    >> > the notification area. I do everything the help says (right click on the
    >> > taskbar, click properties), but the option for 'Hide Inactive Icons' is
    >> > grayed out, unclickable. Is there a solution for this? It's somewhat annoying
    >> > having a quarter of my taskbar taken up by the notification area... Thanks in
    >> > advance

Configuration Taskbar Microsoft Customization Icons Windows XP