How to run graphics card instead of onboard graphics?

I'm guessing you just got it? If so, it should just work straight away after you put it in, but if it doesn't, just go into the BIOS and choose to initiate the PCIe graphics first.

Edit: Just saw that I think you got it working from a post in the Motherboards section. Is that right?

gamersbureau

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Nope :( that was another issue regarding connecting my monitor to my GPU -

here are images of what is going on:
http://postimage.org/gallery/w8np6fs/dc167073/

I'm trying to make my Radeon 6870 graphics card detectable and the main graphics card instead of the onboard one.

"BIOS and choose to initiate the PCIe graphics first" - I have a Z77x d3h gigabyte motherboard and didn't find that option, the pictures include the options i did find.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Make sure that your video card has power and is plugged into the power supply it should have some 6 pin power plugs on the video card.

Most new motherboard auto switch if the monitor is plugged into the video card it should display when it's turned on.

gamersbureau

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
My graphics card fan is spinning 6pins are plugged into the PSU, my monitor has only an VGA connecter however the adapter VGA TO DVI dont seem to be working the monitor doesn't work at all, so im trying to find a way to make it work without having to connect it

That's the exact manual I just looked at and it's "Init Display First" like I said, under the "Peripherals" menu. It's there, or at least the manual says it is.

Also, WHICH 6870 is it? The adapter usually needs to be plugged into the DVI port on the bottom, assuming the two are placed one on top of the other.

OK, the adapter needs to be plugged into the white one. Other than that, it SHOULD work. I have to use an adapter for my monitor too, and it works just fine. Of course I have a Nvidia card (GTX 560) and not AMD, but it should still work. I mean it did come with the adapter after all.

I don't completely understand what you meant by that, but, yes, shut down, plug the adapter into the white DVI port on the card (and the monitor into the adapter too, of course) and restart.