Sign in with
Your question

How to run graphics card instead of onboard graphics?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2012 11:27:46 AM

I have a radeon 6870 and would like to run it instead of my onboard intel chip graphics, how do I manage to do so?
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 11:30:34 AM

I'm guessing you just got it? If so, it should just work straight away after you put it in, but if it doesn't, just go into the BIOS and choose to initiate the PCIe graphics first.

Edit: Just saw that I think you got it working from a post in the Motherboards section. Is that right?
June 29, 2012 12:04:36 PM

Nope :(  that was another issue regarding connecting my monitor to my GPU -

here are images of what is going on:
http://postimage.org/gallery/w8np6fs/dc167073/

I'm trying to make my Radeon 6870 graphics card detectable and the main graphics card instead of the onboard one.

"BIOS and choose to initiate the PCIe graphics first" - I have a Z77x d3h gigabyte motherboard and didn't find that option, the pictures include the options i did find.
Related resources
June 29, 2012 12:18:02 PM

Make sure that your video card has power and is plugged into the power supply it should have some 6 pin power plugs on the video card.

Most new motherboard auto switch if the monitor is plugged into the video card it should display when it's turned on.
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 12:18:34 PM

Just letting you know, I haven't forgotten about you, just taking a look at the manual.
June 29, 2012 12:20:37 PM

My graphics card fan is spinning 6pins are plugged into the PSU, my monitor has only an VGA connecter however the adapter VGA TO DVI dont seem to be working the monitor doesn't work at all, so im trying to find a way to make it work without having to connect it
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 12:22:25 PM

OK, it's "Init Display First" and you want to select PEG (or even Auto should do it). Also, plug the adapter into the bottom most DVI connector.
June 29, 2012 12:33:57 PM

'Initiate display first' I can't seem to find this in the Z77x D3H bios, and for my DVI adapter doesn't seem to work with my VGA capable from my monitor, I connect it but the screen just shuts off.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-Z77X-D3H/Manual/...

would it be possible to locate it here for me please I'm trying to find it in the manual online but i can't find it
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 12:39:55 PM

gamersbureau said:
'Initiate display first' I can't seem to find this in the Z77x D3H bios, and for my DVI adapter doesn't seem to work with my VGA capable from my monitor, I connect it but the screen just shuts off.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-Z77X-D3H/Manual/...

would it be possible to locate it here for me please I'm trying to find it in the manual online but i can't find it

That's the exact manual I just looked at and it's "Init Display First" like I said, under the "Peripherals" menu. It's there, or at least the manual says it is.

Also, WHICH 6870 is it? The adapter usually needs to be plugged into the DVI port on the bottom, assuming the two are placed one on top of the other.
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 1:03:23 PM

OK, the adapter needs to be plugged into the white one. Other than that, it SHOULD work. I have to use an adapter for my monitor too, and it works just fine. Of course I have a Nvidia card (GTX 560) and not AMD, but it should still work. I mean it did come with the adapter after all.
June 29, 2012 1:04:50 PM

Ok I changed it to PCIE the 'init display first' should I use the adapter now or shut down the PC and then change it then open it?
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 1:07:37 PM

gamersbureau said:
should I use the adapter now or shut down the PC and then change it then open it?

I don't completely understand what you meant by that, but, yes, shut down, plug the adapter into the white DVI port on the card (and the monitor into the adapter too, of course) and restart.
June 29, 2012 1:19:19 PM

Just did that, I got 'monitor going to sleep' it didn't detect anything
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 1:21:35 PM

Hmm, this one has me stumped. Well, try the black DVI port (if the adapter will even fit it. I have doubts that it will). If that doesn't work, you may have a dead card.
June 29, 2012 1:25:57 PM

I'll try another adapter, if that doesn't work i'll take it in for repair. But why does the fan keep spinning then O.o
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 1:38:00 PM

Eh, that just shows that it's getting power (which is good, at least).
!