What is a good upgrade to an HD5770?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Hi all,

I currently have an XFX ATI HD5770 graphics card. It has worked great for as long as I can remember. However, I now have a problem. I just got a 24 inch 1920x1080 display. This new resolution has dropped by frames by about 20 fps. I used to be able to play skyrim on high with a great frames.

Now though, even with games like tribes ascend, I see myself dropping down to medium settings. For some reason though, Fallout 3/New Vegas seems to play well at high settings.

So, I suppose I am in the market for a new card. I only want ATI or Nvidia. My price range is 250 dollars or less. I need a card that is much better than the 5770. I want to be able to play on at least high settings in skyrim very smoothly.

I mean in skyrim on high settings looking around with my mouse is very choppy. There is a lot of stuttering but when I move it to medium settings it becomes smooth.

Please help me pick out a good card! thanks! or just any advice in general. Maybe its a problem with just skyrim or something.

NOTE* I even did overclocked the card a little using overdrive. I loved overdrive its a great feature. Do nvidia cards have a feature like this?

Solution
Hi

nVidia cards don't have an over-clocking feature like overdrive in their control panel, but you can use 3rd party software like MSI afterburner with both AMD and nVidia cards to achieve the same outcome.

Either the GTX560 Ti or HD7850 are great cards in your price range and will offer double the performance of your current card.
Hi

nVidia cards don't have an over-clocking feature like overdrive in their control panel, but you can use 3rd party software like MSI afterburner with both AMD and nVidia cards to achieve the same outcome.

Either the GTX560 Ti or HD7850 are great cards in your price range and will offer double the performance of your current card.

Solution

lanceor

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

As far as I can remember I already asked here about this, i don't know how to search even still, No you can't crossfire a 7850 and 5770, you need to both to be the same (for example 2x 7850 or 2x 5770) and you can crossfire with different manufacturers different (ASUS 7870/MSI 7870)

Just to add with AMD cards you can sometimes crossfire two or more cards in the same family (E.G 78xx series) and they don't have to be the same model.

So for example you could crossfire a HD7870 and HD7850, although performance will obviously be less than HD7870 CF.

Just an FYI

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
ok, so you guys think this 7850 will be a huge jump in performance from my 5770? I shouldnt have a problem running skyrim with high settings at 1920x1080?

Is there anything coming out I should wait for? I dont need to get a new card at this minute, I can wait if there is something better coming out for the price?

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I was actually just looking at that.

On those comparison charts, which one of those cards most resembles the performance of a 5770. I want to somewhat compare the fps between my 5770 and the 7850. Or is the performance of the 5770 so low it fits no where on that chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.