Sign in with
Your question

Need advise in selecting cabinet and PSU (which brand)?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 2, 2013 7:41:17 AM

First of all, let me thank you all.

I'm an engineering software developer. I never assembled a computer in my life, only bought from dell :) .
But this time I thought to look more deep and found that I can assemble a very high end computer by my own, instead of spending more on dell for not-as-good-configuration.

This forum really had answers to all my basic questions. After reading a lot of threads about computer hardware components, I decided for following configuration.

Processor: AMD FX 8120
Mobo: ASUS M5A97
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB GDDR5
RAM: Transcend 2x8GB @1600Mhtz
Hard Disk: 1 TB Seagate (internal)
Monitor: Benq-24"LED monitor
Cabinet: ??Cooler master??
PSU: ??Cooler master (600 Watt)??

I need this configuration to watch high quality movies, games, and lots of multitasking.
On a serious side, I'm interested in GPU programming (hence I need a separate Graphics Card) and virtualization stuff.

I need help in choosing a cabinet and PSU for the whole system. Please feel free to add your comments about the pros and cons of the above chosen system configuration.

I read the topics on how to choose a PSU and came to a conclusion that 450 watt psu will not suffice as the graphics card alone need 450 watt power. I asked a vendor and he had straight a 600 watt coolermaster PSU. But I heard that cooler master is not a good psu supplier.

Please help!

More about : advise selecting cabinet psu brand

January 4, 2013 2:16:14 AM

Heyya!

So here's the deal. For a PSU go with Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic. DO NOT GO WITH COOLER MASTER, COOLMAX, LOGYSIS. Long list of terrible parts. Now. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY AMD PROCESSORS! They may have eight cores, they may seem faster, but they are built cheaper than Intel. The FX you have picked out is a good CPU but, an i5 is SO much better. In fact some i3 dual cores are better than the Phenom II X4. So I recommend Intel if you are a software developer, or a gamer, or a business person. Now, your HDD is good, but your RAM well...hmm. You should go with G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin, or Patriot. For your mobo if you do switch to Intel, go with an Asrock, an Asus, an MSI, or a Gigabyte. NOT Foxconn or Biostar. For your cabinet, do you need something flashy? Well if you are like me and you do, go with Raidmax, Rosewill, Cooler Master, or Sentey (I have a Sentey).
Lastly, you can get a nice, 24" LED monitor off of Ebay for half the price of that BenQ.

Well yeah let me know if you need anything more!

Max
January 4, 2013 2:34:12 AM

This is true, the AMD fx series processors are actually not truly 8 cores. They are 4 modules, with 2 cores sharing parts, so they are essentially 4 cores. They can't match the i5-2500k in performance, but they are a better bang for your buck, and a great budget choice.

EDIT: By the way, where did you find an m5A97? They are discontinued on Newegg. How much are you paying for it?
Related resources
January 4, 2013 4:58:57 AM

DorianGraves said:
This is true, the AMD fx series processors are actually not truly 8 cores. They are 4 modules, with 2 cores sharing parts, so they are essentially 4 cores. They can't match the i5-2500k in performance, but they are a better bang for your buck, and a great budget choice.

EDIT: By the way, where did you find an m5A97? They are discontinued on Newegg. How much are you paying for it?

Yeah it's true. But I'm interested too! Where did you find the M5A97?
January 4, 2013 5:22:14 AM

I recommend

Case:
Fractal Design Core 1000
or
Any of the Corsair Obsidian Case Series ( They might be expensive, but will be great in expansion and in cooling )

PSU:
Corsair CX600M ( M means Modular, so you can remove the cords since they're not bundled in one )
January 4, 2013 5:23:54 AM

I'd recommend a Samsung LED Monitors since I have one of their televisions which has fantastic graphics.
January 4, 2013 5:25:13 AM

By the Seagate 1TB, I hope you're referring to a Seagate Barracuda 1TB w/ 7200rpm. Though always keep in mind, there are SSDs.
January 7, 2013 9:02:54 AM

Thank you guys!

My Choice of processor and mobo remains same as it is economical :) 
RAM: G.S.Kill......(there is not much difference money wise from transcend, but all recommends for gskill)

Going for traditional hdds as they are cheaper than SDDs. Anyway, seagate has its name :) .
@Anor - yes it is the same hdd!

For Cabinet: Which one is better Corsair-300 or Bitfenix Outlaw APAC ??

For mobo: one of the local vendor has it in stock!
January 7, 2013 9:46:31 PM

I'm gonna tell you this straight. AMD is not economical at all! It uses 50% more power than any Intel CPU. Plus if you are a software developer, you are going to need a much stronger mobo that an M5A97. Plus your CPU will not handle developing software well. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE. Lastly, if you are going to go for an ODD you should go for a 2TB WD Caviar Black 7200RPM drive. And by all means, go for a SSD boot drive. Even if it's 64 GB' s.
For a case go for Corsair if you like it.

Max
January 8, 2013 6:21:53 AM

maxicusdagreat said:
I'm gonna tell you this straight. AMD is not economical at all! It uses 50% more power than any Intel CPU. Plus if you are a software developer, you are going to need a much stronger mobo that an M5A97. Plus your CPU will not handle developing software well. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE. Lastly, if you are going to go for an ODD you should go for a 2TB WD Caviar Black 7200RPM drive. And by all means, go for a SSD boot drive. Even if it's 64 GB' s.
For a case go for Corsair if you like it.

Max

Thanks Maxicus!

I was under the impression that there is no difference as far as software development is concerned.
Here is a link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7411537/amd-vs-intel...

By the way, thanks for the ssd suggestion.
January 8, 2013 8:15:40 AM

Also, if AMD can run a game well then why can not it support a software development environment well? Visual Studio from Microsoft does not differentiate as far as i know.
January 8, 2013 6:30:51 PM

Well, here's how an AMD processor works. Instead of having 8 cores, it has two 4 core modules. Think of it as this. You have one big plate of mashed potatoes, it is equal to two plates, but it still is technically one plate. That's kind of what AMD does with there processors cores! They basically take four cores, and essentially "chop" them into halves. I mean AMD will run games, but it won't deliver the real performance of an 8 core because essentially, it's a quad core. Now, the other thing is that, Software Development programs are kind of like ex-wives. You close them out, but they are still in your life, in this case running in the background. Games are like wives. They are in your life all the time! Except when you go for a drink (shut the game down) they forget all about you, and go wander off into the unban wilderness...(they close out essentially). Now AMD processors are good for gaming, but when stuff runs in the background, they SLLOOOOWWWW down. I once had an AMD Phenom II X4 in a rig, I use 3D's Max a lot, and when I shut 3D's Max down it did keep running in the background if I was doing something. And I would get a little notice that said, "Windows has detected your performance is slow." Yeah, those were good times. But yeah hope this helps!

-Max
January 9, 2013 1:54:50 AM

Well, your analogy is kind of difficult to understand! But i can make out what you mean to say. I'm quite aware of that FX 8 core series does have logical 8 cores and physical 4 cores. And when you close the program, it get closed until unless there is some background service running for that program (you can close it in task manager, always, but there can be some side effect if it is essential service to your OS).

I did a lot of research and I always found that some people are happy and some are not happy with one configuration. Actually it is based on the need and the purpose of the person.

I am giving FX-8350 an option as well as it is claimed to be ~15% more efficient!

January 9, 2013 8:22:01 PM

Are you sure you want to go with AMD? Because, I fell down the same road of "WHOOOAAAA!!! LOOK! IT HAS EIGHT CORES!" But what's your budget?
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2013 8:53:49 PM

whats ur total budget for a build and what country are u located in?
!