Bit of a dilemna

Hey community,

So I've got a little hiccup in my plans for college. I want to take my tower to college, but I'm not sure how that would end up panning out. Here's the deal.

I've got a pretty good computer, but the thing is that it is very noisy and somewhat obnoxious. Now I'm going away to college and I'm pretty sure my roomate is not going to appreciate a very loud computer blowing in our dorm room.

Now I had an idea to upgrade to the quiet Antec Sonata Proto because I like the look of the case and the size, and also the fact that it has locks on the front and the side. But my video card (reference 6950) is too long to fit into the case. I've also got a Corsair H60 CPU cooler and I dont know how that would fit in the case that well.

Now I was thinking as much as it hurts to give up my 6950, I might be able to give it to my cousin for him to use in his custom computer which has a PII 1045T and it would surely fit in his case. He would have to get a new power supply, but oh well. If not, I might be able to use it in the computer I am leaving at home, which has a 965BE in it. It was really loud anyway.

That would mean that I would have to use my old GTX460, which would be more quiet and fit better. If I were to use the GTX460, I would be using a GTS250 as a Physx card (don't question it).

Now here are my actual questions:

Is the Antec Sonata Proto a good case? Quiet and cools well?
Where in the world am I going to put the H60?
How much of a performance drop will I see with the 460? I don't care about settings that much but I dont like low.
Is this even a good idea?
Why are there so many different Sonatas? Is there one that might fit the 6950?

I don't plan to upgrade my GPU for quite awhile. But if I'm going to be using a GTX460 I might consider an upgrade in the future, maybe like next summer.

Solution
The only time you are in your dorm room is to sleep (and sometimes not even then). I wouldn't worry about the noise and just shut it off at night for sleep. If you both spend all day in your dorm then you are not taking advantage of the 4(+) best years of your life.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
The only time you are in your dorm room is to sleep (and sometimes not even then). I wouldn't worry about the noise and just shut it off at night for sleep. If you both spend all day in your dorm then you are not taking advantage of the 4(+) best years of your life.

Solution
Lol I'll keep that in mind. I'll choose you for the best answer because as it turns out, as I bought the Sonata today and tried to fit my 6950 in it, it fits with less than a centimeter of clearance. That's good enough for me.

I even got my H60 watercooling to fit. Good enough for me.