Just Ordered GTX 480, Need Help with Airflow and PSU

Hey guys, I know buying open box items are really a hit and miss when It comes to electronics. Some literally can be brand new that the seal was broken during shipping, some could have been shown off at a show, or on display. Some are even Refurbished products... but I couldn't let this deal slip. Ive been looking for a GPU around $140-$160 and I was just going to go with the HD6850 for $140. BUT THEN.

Newegg had an open box EVGA GTX 480 for $150 Free Shipping. I had to take the chance. If its a non-working item, I will know within a few days, and I have a warranty on it. Now...to my concern.

Im running this setup:

Mobo: ASrock 970 Extreme 3
CPU: Phenom II x4 945
GPU: GTS 250 (Yea... See why I needed a new one lol)
HD: 500gb Standard Brand name
Ram: 8gb 1333mhz
Case: NZXT M59


Now, My PSU is a problem i believe...

PSU: Orion Orion XPOWER585 585W ATX12V 2.01 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339022

Now I know its not good, but with what I was running I didnt need much.

I want to try and stay on cheaper side here while still obtaining a worthy PSU, if I even need one.


Next, My Case,

I have 2 120mm OEM fans installed. One in Back, One on Side Panel. I Personally Installed a 120mm Fan in the Front. With my 480 I ordered a 140mm for the top for exhaust.

Should I take advantage of the last 5th spot for a fan on top next to the 140mm, it would be another exhaust.

THANK YOU!
13 answers Last reply
More about just ordered airflow
  1. Go with a good brand (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic) and at least 600w, get as much as you can for your budget and then read reviews. A good psu can last 5-7 years and serve you well in your next computer so its actually a better investment than almost anything else.
  2. Temile said:
    Go with a good brand (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic) and at least 600w, get as much as you can for your budget and then read reviews. A good psu can last 5-7 years and serve you well in your next computer so its actually a better investment than almost anything else.


    Alright, Ill find 3 and post them here for review, what about case fans? I know this GPU runs hot.
  3. You don't realize how NOT GOOD your psu is.
    The data plate shows that your supposed 585w psu can deliver 18a on the +12v rails.

    DO NOT plug in your new card with that psu!
    If it fails, and I bet it will, it can destroy anything it is connected to.

    EVGA suggests the GTX480 needs a 600w psu with 42a on the +12v rails.
    http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-1480-KR&family=GeForce 400 Series Family&sw=

    Whatever you do, buy a QUALITY psu. My short list would include Seasonic, PC P&C, Antec, Corsair, and XFX.
    The key metric is the amps that can be delivered on the 12v rails, not the wattage.


    This is the least expensive psu that qualifies that a brief search uncovers. $50 after rebate, before a 15% promo. Antec 620w(48a)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

    You have plenty of fans. The EVGA cooler is good, it sends lots of heat out the back of the case.
  4. Here is what I have found

    Raidmax 630w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035 On sale $49.99 from $70

    Apevia 680w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148022 On Sale for $49.99 from $110

    Raidmax 730w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152036
    On Sale $59.99 from $80

    Antec 650w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044 On Sale $68


    Any of those look good? The GPU says 600w minimum...so im better off going a little higher than that I suppose?
  5. The only good one in that list is the Antec 650, all of the rest are crap
  6. obubdeno said:
    Here is what I have found

    Raidmax 630w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035 On sale $49.99 from $70

    Apevia 680w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148022 On Sale for $49.99 from $110

    Raidmax 730w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152036
    On Sale $59.99 from $80

    Antec 650w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044 On Sale $68


    Any of those look good? The GPU says 600w minimum...so im better off going a little higher than that I suppose?


    Raidmax and apevia are usually crap.
    The Antec is outstanding.
  7. geofelt said:
    Raidmax and apevia are usually crap.
    The Antec is outstanding.



    Alright, Well after tax and everything. (Yea There has to be a Newegg in Jersey) It comes to about $70.

    Would you say that 650w is better then the 620w one you posted?
  8. obubdeno said:
    Alright, Well after tax and everything. (Yea There has to be a Newegg in Jersey) It comes to about $70.

    Would you say that 650w is better then the 620w one you posted?


    Either will do the job. The 650w is a bit stronger.
  9. geofelt said:
    Either will do the job. The 650w is a bit stronger.



    Looks like I will be going with that... Didnt want to have to upgrade the psu, but I guess its worth it to have that monster in my machine haha

    And I guess 4 Fans should be okay then?
  10. obubdeno said:
    Looks like I will be going with that... Didnt want to have to upgrade the psu, but I guess its worth it to have that monster in my machine haha

    And I guess 4 Fans should be okay then?


    You are OK.

    Two fans is enough. Fans are easy to change later, not that I think you will need to.

    Crush that old psu,, don't give it away, except to your worst enemy.
  11. geofelt said:
    You are OK.

    Two fans is enough. Fans are easy to change later, not that I think you will need to.

    Crush that old psu,, don't give it away, except to your worst enemy.



    Yea, I mean fans cost like $8-$10, you might as well put them in if they do offer help in airflow and ventilation.
  12. obubdeno said:
    Yea, I mean fans cost like $8-$10, you might as well put them in if they do offer help in airflow and ventilation.


    I would wait. More fans add to noise, and added ventilation is probably not needed.
  13. geofelt said:
    I would wait. More fans add to noise, and added ventilation is probably not needed.



    Well I bought nice quiet ones, The case is actually new, with 3 fans at the moment, it sounds like a dream haha but that may be because my old crap case had 1 Huge fan on the Side that did nothing. So Everything ran loud.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product