Software Autorun

Hi All,

When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the needed software,
but windows also tries to run that software. I remember when I first used the
camera that windows asked which software to auto run when this camera is
detected. I guess there is a list somewhere in XP (pro) that I can edit to
stop/change this software from running.

Can someone please tell me where to find it.

Many thanks
Gary
7 answers Last reply
More about software autorun

    hey,
    i got an application that will help.
    just e-mail me and i will give it to you.

    In news:uAmx1vDcFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Steven Wabik <Stevenw45@comcast.net> typed:

    > hey,
    > i got an application that will help.
    > just e-mail me and i will give it to you.

    Not to accuse you personally of anything, but in these days of
    widespread rampant spreading of viruses and other malware,
    someone would have to be very foolish indeed to accept any
    program code from a stranger on a newsgroup

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the
    >> needed
    >> software,
    >> but windows also tries to run that software. I remember when I
    >> first
    >> used the
    >> camera that windows asked which software to auto run when this
    >> camera is detected. I guess there is a list somewhere in XP
    >> (pro)
    >> that I can edit to stop/change this software from running.
    >>
    >> Can someone please tell me where to find it.
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >> Gary

    Adjust CD-ROM AutoPlay
    Right-click the CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer (or My Computer), and select
    Properties.
    Select the AutoPlay tab.

    Gary wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the needed
    > software, but windows also tries to run that software. I remember
    > when I first used the camera that windows asked which software to
    > auto run when this camera is detected. I guess there is a list
    > somewhere in XP (pro) that I can edit to stop/change this software
    > from running.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me where to find it.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Gary

    Hi thanks for taking time to reply, but your reply has nothing to do with my
    question.!!!

    Win XP can auto run a program on your computer when it detects a device (ie.
    when you plug in a camera) I need to know where I can change these settings.

    Regards
    Gary

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/autoplay/default.aspx

    "Gary" wrote:

    > Hi thanks for taking time to reply, but your reply has nothing to do with my
    > question.!!!
    >
    > Win XP can auto run a program on your computer when it detects a device (ie.
    > when you plug in a camera) I need to know where I can change these settings.
    >
    > Regards
    > Gary
    >
    > "TaurArian" wrote:
    >
    > > Adjust CD-ROM AutoPlay
    > > Right-click the CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer (or My Computer), and select
    > > Properties.
    > > Select the AutoPlay tab.
    > >
    > > Gary wrote:
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the needed
    > > > software, but windows also tries to run that software. I remember
    > > > when I first used the camera that windows asked which software to
    > > > auto run when this camera is detected. I guess there is a list
    > > > somewhere in XP (pro) that I can edit to stop/change this software
    > > > from running.
    > > >
    > > > Can someone please tell me where to find it.
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks
    > > > Gary

    Hi TaurArian

    Sorry I didn't know "autorun" was linked. I've had a look at the link, it
    seems a bit complicated, I might just uninstall the camera software and
    reinstall it and hope windows give me the chance to change what I originally
    set.

    Many thanks
    Gary

    "TaurArian" wrote:

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/autoplay/default.aspx
    >

    > "Gary" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi thanks for taking time to reply, but your reply has nothing to do with my
    > > question.!!!
    > >
    > > Win XP can auto run a program on your computer when it detects a device (ie.
    > > when you plug in a camera) I need to know where I can change these settings.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Gary
    > >
    > > "TaurArian" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Adjust CD-ROM AutoPlay
    > > > Right-click the CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer (or My Computer), and select
    > > > Properties.
    > > > Select the AutoPlay tab.

    cameras save the pictures in JPG format.

    Autorun that you are asking about may be linked to the file types
    associated with it.

    Check your list of File Types and check if jpg jpeg are set for Always
    open with this application.

    My Computer -> Tools - Folder Options -> File Types - check files types
    JPG JPEG for Opens With 3/4 down the page. If you want to change it
    click Change and there is a box to select always use the selected
    program to open this kind of file. Clear it if you want to be prompted
    to choice what program opens that file type.

    The software below is just a repair tool that fixes other Autorun
    problems.

    ***************
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xp-autorun.html

    Windows XP was designed to make it simpler to identify content on CDs or
    DVDs, and assist in launching the correct program to open or view the
    files. For example, insert a movie DVD and Windows XP should show
    options for programs that can play a DVD. Unfortunately things can go
    wrong - settings get altered and the autorun no longer wants to be your
    friend. This free tool can help diagnose and repair autorun problems in
    XP. It is a tiny download and doesn't require installation. Simply
    double-click the exe file, click a few buttons (OK, some options are a
    little cryptic) and you can change or repair your Windows XP autorun
    options.
    ***********************************

    "=?Utf-8?B?R2FyeQ==?=" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Hi TaurArian
    >
    > Sorry I didn't know "autorun" was linked. I've had a look at the link,
    > it seems a bit complicated, I might just uninstall the camera software
    > and reinstall it and hope windows give me the chance to change what I
    > originally set.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Gary
    >
    > "TaurArian" wrote:
    >
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/autoplay/default.aspx
    >>

    >> "Gary" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi thanks for taking time to reply, but your reply has nothing to
    >> > do with my question.!!!
    >> >
    >> > Win XP can auto run a program on your computer when it detects a
    >> > device (ie. when you plug in a camera) I need to know where I can
    >> > change these settings.
    >> >
    >> > Regards
    >> > Gary

Configuration Cameras Customization Software Windows XP