Software Autorun

June 13, 2005 6:26:01 AM

Hi All,

When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the needed software,
but windows also tries to run that software. I remember when I first used the
camera that windows asked which software to auto run when this camera is
detected. I guess there is a list somewhere in XP (pro) that I can edit to
stop/change this software from running.

Can someone please tell me where to find it.

Many thanks
Gary

More about : software autorun

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:18:34 PM

hey,
i got an application that will help.
just e-mail me and i will give it to you.

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the needed
> software,
> but windows also tries to run that software. I remember when I first used
> the
> camera that windows asked which software to auto run when this camera is
> detected. I guess there is a list somewhere in XP (pro) that I can edit to
> stop/change this software from running.
>
> Can someone please tell me where to find it.
>
> Many thanks
> Gary
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:18:35 PM

In news:uAmx1vDcFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Steven Wabik <Stevenw45@comcast.net> typed:

> hey,
> i got an application that will help.
> just e-mail me and i will give it to you.

Not to accuse you personally of anything, but in these days of
widespread rampant spreading of viruses and other malware,
someone would have to be very foolish indeed to accept any
program code from a stranger on a newsgroup

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the
>> needed
>> software,
>> but windows also tries to run that software. I remember when I
>> first
>> used the
>> camera that windows asked which software to auto run when this
>> camera is detected. I guess there is a list somewhere in XP
>> (pro)
>> that I can edit to stop/change this software from running.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me where to find it.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Gary
June 14, 2005 11:10:30 AM

Adjust CD-ROM AutoPlay
Right-click the CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer (or My Computer), and select
Properties.
Select the AutoPlay tab.

Gary wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the needed
> software, but windows also tries to run that software. I remember
> when I first used the camera that windows asked which software to
> auto run when this camera is detected. I guess there is a list
> somewhere in XP (pro) that I can edit to stop/change this software
> from running.
>
> Can someone please tell me where to find it.
>
> Many thanks
> Gary
June 14, 2005 11:10:31 AM

Hi thanks for taking time to reply, but your reply has nothing to do with my
question.!!!

Win XP can auto run a program on your computer when it detects a device (ie.
when you plug in a camera) I need to know where I can change these settings.

Regards
Gary

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Adjust CD-ROM AutoPlay
> Right-click the CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer (or My Computer), and select
> Properties.
> Select the AutoPlay tab.
>
> Gary wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the needed
> > software, but windows also tries to run that software. I remember
> > when I first used the camera that windows asked which software to
> > auto run when this camera is detected. I guess there is a list
> > somewhere in XP (pro) that I can edit to stop/change this software
> > from running.
> >
> > Can someone please tell me where to find it.
> >
> > Many thanks
> > Gary

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:10:32 AM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/autoplay...

"Gary" wrote:

> Hi thanks for taking time to reply, but your reply has nothing to do with my
> question.!!!
>
> Win XP can auto run a program on your computer when it detects a device (ie.
> when you plug in a camera) I need to know where I can change these settings.
>
> Regards
> Gary
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > Adjust CD-ROM AutoPlay
> > Right-click the CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer (or My Computer), and select
> > Properties.
> > Select the AutoPlay tab.
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > When I plug in my camera via USB, it automatically runs the needed
> > > software, but windows also tries to run that software. I remember
> > > when I first used the camera that windows asked which software to
> > > auto run when this camera is detected. I guess there is a list
> > > somewhere in XP (pro) that I can edit to stop/change this software
> > > from running.
> > >
> > > Can someone please tell me where to find it.
> > >
> > > Many thanks
> > > Gary

June 14, 2005 11:55:01 AM

Hi TaurArian

Sorry I didn't know "autorun" was linked. I've had a look at the link, it
seems a bit complicated, I might just uninstall the camera software and
reinstall it and hope windows give me the chance to change what I originally
set.

Many thanks
Gary

"TaurArian" wrote:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/autoplay...
>

> "Gary" wrote:
>
> > Hi thanks for taking time to reply, but your reply has nothing to do with my
> > question.!!!
> >
> > Win XP can auto run a program on your computer when it detects a device (ie.
> > when you plug in a camera) I need to know where I can change these settings.
> >
> > Regards
> > Gary
> >
> > "TaurArian" wrote:
> >
> > > Adjust CD-ROM AutoPlay
> > > Right-click the CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer (or My Computer), and select
> > > Properties.
> > > Select the AutoPlay tab.

June 28, 2005 5:31:03 AM

cameras save the pictures in JPG format.

Autorun that you are asking about may be linked to the file types
associated with it.

Check your list of File Types and check if jpg jpeg are set for Always
open with this application.

My Computer -> Tools - Folder Options -> File Types - check files types
JPG JPEG for Opens With 3/4 down the page. If you want to change it
click Change and there is a box to select always use the selected
program to open this kind of file. Clear it if you want to be prompted
to choice what program opens that file type.

The software below is just a repair tool that fixes other Autorun
problems.

***************
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xp-autorun.html

Windows XP was designed to make it simpler to identify content on CDs or
DVDs, and assist in launching the correct program to open or view the
files. For example, insert a movie DVD and Windows XP should show
options for programs that can play a DVD. Unfortunately things can go
wrong - settings get altered and the autorun no longer wants to be your
friend. This free tool can help diagnose and repair autorun problems in
XP. It is a tiny download and doesn't require installation. Simply
double-click the exe file, click a few buttons (OK, some options are a
little cryptic) and you can change or repair your Windows XP autorun
options.

!