Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer will not start up while the fans in the case are connected

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2012 1:34:16 PM

Hello, this is my first time building a computer and I have been pulling money together for a while to be able to get it. But then I ran into an issue after putting it together:

After connecting everything together I discovered that my computer wouldn't start up. First I thought it was the PSU so I tested it in my old computer and it turned on perfectly. So I took out everything out except the PSU, Motherboard, CPU, and CPU Fan to find out what may be causing it to not power up.

First test start:
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU Fan: Success

Second Test start:
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, HDD: Success

Third Test Start:
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, HDD, Disk Drive: Success

Fourth Test Start:
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, HDD, Disk Drive, front base USB connector: Success

Fifth Test Start:
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, HDD, Disk Drive, front base USB connector, Graphics Card: Success

Sixth Test Start:
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, HDD, Disk Drive, front base USB connector, Graphics Card, Sound Card: Success

Seventh Test Start:
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, HDD, Disk Drive, front base USB connector, Graphics Card, Sound Card, Case's rear fan: Fail
-Starts up for about 2 seconds then powers down

Eighth Test Start:
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, HDD, Disk Drive, front base USB connector, Graphics Card, Sound Card, Case's front fan: Fail
-Starts up for about 2 seconds then powers down

for the 7th and 8th test i was using an adapter similar to this:

I would hook this up and connect it to the motherboard's 4 prong connector for fans and to the PSU.

Ninth Test Start:
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, HDD, Disk Drive, front base USB connector, Graphics Card, Sound Card, Case's rear fan without adapter (to the 3 prong in the motherboard): Success

The main issue is that my motherboard only has one 3 prong connector and it has two 4 prong connectors, the front fan can't reach the 3 prong connector and won't work with the adapter.

P.S. I have the Power SW and Reset SW connected to the right places on the motherboard, but the Power SW (appears to)does nothing and the Reset SW acts as the power button.

Here are the parts:

Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Motherboard

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K

RAM
Crucial Ballistix 8GB (DDR3 1333 Mhz)

Video Card
EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 7.1

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

Optical Drive
Lite-On Internal DVD Writer

Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower

Power Supply
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply

Does it seem like a case issue, fan issue, MoBo issue, or PSU issue?
a b à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 2:17:01 PM

you can still plug the fans into the 4 pin header. it works fine. make sure that you plug the CPU fan into the one thats labeled cpu fan
m
l
August 18, 2012 2:34:02 PM

The CPU Fan works fine, its the cooling fans connected to the case. The ones mounted to the case from the front and the back that I am having issues with
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 2:36:38 PM

just plug them into the motherboard. it doesnt matter if the board has a 4pin fan header or a 3pin fan header. it works
m
l
August 18, 2012 2:40:49 PM

So I should be able to plug the 3 pin cord from the fans into the 4pin fan headers on the MoBo? but 1 of the pins would be bare.

I'm really sorry, would you be able to explain this to an idiot(me) :p , to me its just not making sense but I would really like to understand to be able to test it
m
l
August 18, 2012 2:41:59 PM

Your using that adapter to plug in the 4 pin adapter on the motherboard to the PSU 4-pin molex?

To me that sounds like a big no no.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 2:48:39 PM

shieru said:
So I should be able to plug the 3 pin cord from the fans into the 4pin fan headers on the MoBo? but 1 of the pins would be bare.

I'm really sorry, would you be able to explain this to an idiot(me) :p , to me its just not making sense but I would really like to understand to be able to test it

yes you are totally capable of. the bare pin is supposed to send the pwm signal to the fan to change the fan speed. since the fan is a 3 pin, you wont be able to change the speed (you cant anyways with a molex)
August 18, 2012 2:51:58 PM

okay I will try that out, thanks.

but the other issue is that without the adapter, the front fan cannot reach any of the pins on the MoBo
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 3:00:51 PM

well than for that particular fan, you can use a adaptor. or you could use a extension
m
l
August 18, 2012 3:31:30 PM

I'm thinking of getting an extension to see if it will help since the adapter causes it to just not work at all
m
l
August 18, 2012 5:18:21 PM

Sorry for double posting, but I forgot to ask about the whole...reset button turning it on and power button appearing to do nothing...yes they are connected to the right spots in the motherboard..so i don't know what the issue is there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 6:31:40 PM

you probably messed the wires up. they are pretty small
m
l
August 28, 2012 8:56:50 AM

Best answer selected by shieru.
m
l
August 28, 2012 8:57:36 AM

No the wiring on the power/reset for the case was misprinted it would appear.... and thanks for the suggestions with the fans but the issue turned out to be too much power was going to the fans and it caused it to surge itself out since it had power from the motherboard AND PSU. Thanks for the help!
m
l
!