Sign in with
Your question

CPU and (blue) mobo for 5870

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2013 1:44:49 PM

Hello, I am now building my "new" rig, and I need some advice. I have a Sapphire 5870 GPU, and I want to buy a new CPU and mobo. I already got 8 gigs of 1600mhz kingston ram. The CPUs i was looking at were i5-2500k and i5-3570k, are those overkill for the gpu? What else would you advice? I want to buy a CoolerMaster 212 Evo cooler for the cpu. The cooler is blue, the gpu is blue, the ram is blue, so I want a blue mobo that has no problem running the cpu I pick. Any advice is appreciated

More about : cpu blue mobo 5870

January 3, 2013 3:01:36 AM

securityezz said:
Hello, I am now building my "new" rig, and I need some advice. I have a Sapphire 5870 GPU, and I want to buy a new CPU and mobo. I already got 8 gigs of 1600mhz kingston ram. The CPUs i was looking at were i5-2500k and i5-3570k, are those overkill for the gpu? What else would you advice? I want to buy a CoolerMaster 212 Evo cooler for the cpu. The cooler is blue, the gpu is blue, the ram is blue, so I want a blue mobo that has no problem running the cpu I pick. Any advice is appreciated

Whether or not an i5 is overkill depends on what you're planning to do with the system. If it's a gaming rig, especially a budget rig, you could definitely go for a cheaper proc and be just fine running most games. If you do a lot of video rendering and such, you'l want that i5. Also, I have a 212 Evo, and it is most definitely not blue. It's silver with a black fan. If you do end up going for one of those i5s, there are a bunch of blue motherboards on newegg, most namely any of the ASUS boards that start with "P8" (such as the P8Z68, P8Z77 etc...)
January 3, 2013 3:26:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. I need the processor to give enough juice for the 5870, because my amd quad-core 9750 doesn't. About the cooler, i meant that the led is blue. Do you think I can go as low as an i5-2300, and still get all the juice from the 5870?
Related resources
January 4, 2013 2:53:09 AM

The CPU doesn't give any "juice" to the graphics card. The power supply is responsible for supplying the power. What PSU do you have? It might not be big enough. However, if a CPU is slow enough and the GPU is fast enough, bottlenecking can occur, which is what I assume you're talking about. The 5870 is not an extremely fast card so you can go much lower than an i5 without any bottlenecking. I'd recommend an i3-3220 with one of the Asus boards I mentioned above. Even though it's a dual core, it has hyper-threading and is much more efficient, thus making it significantly faster than your current AMD proc.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 5:40:11 AM

I'm maxing out a 7850 on a i5-2310, so a 5870 should (also) be a walk in the park. Not that many games really pound the CPU at 100%, and the 5870 isn't that high end, so you probably don't need as much CPU as you think. If you don't go with a K chip, then not much point in going with a Hyper 212 or a board that can overclock.

Gigabyte makes great boards and most use a light blue Silicon. If you get a K chip, then I'd get a Z77/75 based board and if you go non-K then a B75 or H77 based.

!