DVI to VGA question.

Gamerpower321

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
DVI has multiple physical output formats. Single and Dual link DVI-D which carries only digital signals, DVI-A which carries only analog signals, single and dual link DVI-I which carries single and dual link digital signals respectively as well as analog signals. If you have a DVI-A output or DVI-I output then you can use an adapter to connect a VGA display to a DVI-A/I output.

Here's a visual explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

Most graphics cards and some monitors come with the adapter. If not, they're a dime a dozen at any PC shop

It is also possible to convert DVI-I/D into HDMI if you want to use the HDMI port

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The answer depends on a couple of things.

First, what make/model of video card are you using? Or, are you using your motherboard's integrated video adapter (if so, need the make/model of the motherboard)?

Not all DVI adapters will work with VGA devices. DVI-D ports can't convert from digital to analog signals, a required by the VGA standard. DVI-I can with the proper adapter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Generally, a digital connection is the better choice and is not limited to DVI ports. You can use HDMI and DisplayPort to conect to devices. In your case, have you considered using HDMI?

Gamerpower321

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I just ordered a GeForce GTX 560 ti which is why i had the question and i heard somewhere that HDMI would only be good if i were going to watch a Blu-ray Movie on my computer, dont really know if thats true though.

HDMI will work perfectly fine for any display with a resolution less than or equal to 1920x1200

ricksteve6

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

I have this product and I am using it for quite a time now, and I must say this is one of the best converter I have ever used, moreover the price is another factor which makes it a Must Buy one.