Connection between power cord and laptop doesn't make a good connection

Hello,
I have an ASUS laptop that is about two years old and I am having trouble with the connection between the power cord and the laptop. I have to wiggle the connection at the computer until I see it is powering and then try not to move or it will disconnect again. And if I try to use just the battery, the computer crashes after 10 or 15 minutes and the area around the connection is very hot. Even plugged in the area around the connection is really hot. Help!
8 answers Last reply
More about connection power cord laptop doesn make good connection
  1. Hopefully a broken wire in the cable is the issue (a common problem with laptops). Get a new charger or fix it if you have a soldering iron, etc.
  2. Hi :)

    I own a Laptop repair company...

    It NEEDS a new charging socket...take it to a Laptop repair shop..

    All the best Brett :)
  3. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    I own a Laptop repair company...

    It NEEDS a new charging socket...take it to a Laptop repair shop..

    All the best Brett :)
    Possibly, but that issue on my daughter's laptop always was the charger. I fixed it once and then I simply bought a new one whenever it occurred.
  4. GhislainG said:
    Possibly, but that issue on my daughter's laptop always was the charger. I fixed it once and then I simply bought a new one whenever it occurred.



    Hi :)

    You are wrong, we do hundreds of these, the clue is in the "if he holds it in one position it works"

    If it was just the charger it wouldn't work in ANY position...

    All the best Brett :)
  5. On my daughter's Hp laptop (a cheap one), holding it in one position also worked as the broken wire made contact. I sure won't argue as I'm not familiar with Asus laptops and you probably are correct when you says that it's the connector. I presume that it's more expensive to fix the connector than buying a new charger?
  6. GhislainG said:
    On my daughter's Hp laptop (a cheap one), holding it in one position also worked as the broken wire made contact. I sure won't argue as I'm not familiar with Asus laptops and you probably are correct when you says that it's the connector. I presume that it's more expensive to fix the connector than buying a new charger?


    Hi :)

    Yes, a lot more expensive as the lappy needs totally stripping down to desolder the broken charging pin and soldering on a new one...

    We charge £109.80... chargers are £37. so roughly 3 times as much...

    All the best Brett :)
  7. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    I own a Laptop repair company...

    It NEEDS a new charging socket...take it to a Laptop repair shop..

    All the best Brett :)



    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.
  8. Maybe you need to change a new laptop power cord as below address
    http://www.yunhuanelectric.com/usa-nema-power-cord-1.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Laptops Connection Power Components