Computer Freezes at Random while playing games - Help

Aaron91

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hello, I would first off like to thank anyone who tries to help me in advance. This is the first time I have tried to make a custom build.

System Setup:

Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Processor
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance (4x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 PC3 12800
Graphics: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video HDD: Western digital caviar black 1tb
SDD: Samsung 830 256gb
Power Supply: 800w COOLER MASTER 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1 Black SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX PS2 / EPS

OK.... so what is happening, is when I'm playing a game such as APB:reloaded it plays fine on maxed out settings and resolution. But when I jump into a mission, it will periodically freeze. But it still sound like nothing is wrong no laggy sound or anything. My keyboard, and mouse lights stays on It's just like a frozen video. commands such as ctrl+alt+del and alt+tab however don't work, I have to restart my system when it freezes like that.

Aaron91

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Thank you, I have not downloaded anything to do with bios So ill give that a go first, I have updated the graphics and motherboard I think but will have to double check. Also thanks for the link Ill get back to you.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
wait make sure that you know how to update your bios before doing ie youtube
and also be very carfull because if you mess up it could brick your mobo(even though if you know how(flashing mobo in bios) to then you should be fine considering that i did it in about 5 minutes by just pressing a few buttons and downloading somthing :p but still be carfull dont want to total your mobo!

sometimes multiple sound drivers will do this. Using on board sound ? If so, uninstall nvidia drivers from control panel/add-remove. Reboot. Reinstall nvidia drivers but this time only install the graphics driver and the physx driver. DO NOT install the HDMI drivers or anything else.

Aaron91

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Here is what I have By nvidia
- 3D Vision controller diver
- 3D Vision Driver
- Graphics Driver
- HD Audio Driver
- PhysX system Software
- Nvidia update

Anything there that would cause it like you was saying?

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
well the onlything is downloading it does not mean anything because when you run it it should just extract and you should be able to in the bios flash your bios and use the extracted file(will be in a list... at least for me) and then you can update your bios... the fact about bricking your mobo is just a caution i think that now it is hard too do but to not take lightly and to always know what you are doing if your messing with the computer internals(bios regestry etc.) hope this helps calm your panic :p hope it works out just update your bios first... if that still does not work then do as swifty say but disable your onboard sound through your bios :) ill tell you how to do that after you update your bios and it does not work(but i think that it will because it worked for me!)

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

what he is saying is for you to not use your onboard sound and dont do that quite yet(well do you have a sound card because if you dont then that does not apply to you

- 3D Vision controller diver.............. don't need it.............

- 3D Vision Driver................. don't need it.......................

- Graphics Driver.............. NEED...................................

- HD Audio Driver............... DON'T need.............................

- PhysX system Software........... don't need but install.................

- Nvidia update ............... DO NOT INSTALL..........................

even if you are using a separate sound card.............. follow instruction above.

Aaron91

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
A bit late getting back to on this, but I ended up having some stuff to do this eve. I did get to update my bios and everything else is up to date chipset, graphics, bios (now at least) even downloaded something called Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver, and the game still ended up freezing on me sadly. So back to the drawing board, unless there is something else I needed to update that I didn't list?