Status
Not open for further replies.

chatton09

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Hi,
Just purchased a MSI TwinFrozr2 560ti w/ 2gddr5 to upgrade my old EVGA 9800gt card. Start up was fine with the 560 in but a heard a foreboding crackle followed but and abrupt power down while I was installing the drivers and afterburner program for the 560. I sniffed the tower and detected a slight fragrance or burning. Couldn't tell you exactly where it was coming from though.

At any rate, turned off psu, unplugged everything and then let it rest a few minutes before checking connections and for blatant scorch marks or whatever. Finding no faulty connections or parts still ablaze, I plugged it back in and booted it up. The LEDs on my mobo indicated everything was normal as far as power and ram goes, and there was no unusual post data, despite the fact the monitor refused to turn on and I got a weird little warbling beep from the mobo instead of the normal start up beep.

So now, I switched back to my 9800gt and booted the pc with no problems whatsoever, checked all my hard drives too, as I know they often are effected even by minor psu problems, and they are all fine. I'm really stumped why the pc wouldn’t boot properly if the problem was just the new gpu or why everything else is still functioning properly if the problem was the PSU.

So I would really appreciate some sort of diagnosis, as I am afraid to keep using my current PSU, but I don’t want to replace it unnecessarily.

Here's all my pcs components besides the aforementioned gpus:
EVGA x58 SLI LE mobo
Intel i7-920 @2.67 (not oc'd)
Corsair TX750W psu
Mushkin blackline 4gbx3
A slew of HDDs

Solution

A PSU dynamic load tester and an oscilloscope are professional testing and monitoring instruments needed to perform a proper PSU test.

gave my psu a quick sniff now and there is no burning smell anymore.
If your PSU is installed to draw air from the inside of the case to the outside then some of the momentary smell would have been drawn through the power supply. If you're still using the power supply without problems then you can assume it's working properly.

Since the MSI TwinFrozr2 560ti isn't working then you can assume that is the device that the failure occurred on.

chatton09

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
cant clearly identify where exactly the smell was coming from but gave my psu a quick sniff now and there is no burning smell anymore. I suppose there is still a hint of burning scent on the card. This points to the card, is there a way to test my psu's integrity just to be sure? Or was I wrong to think it might even be the psu?

Do you have a PSU dynamic load tester and an oscilloscope?

A PSU dynamic load tester and an oscilloscope are professional testing and monitoring instruments needed to perform a proper PSU test.

gave my psu a quick sniff now and there is no burning smell anymore.
If your PSU is installed to draw air from the inside of the case to the outside then some of the momentary smell would have been drawn through the power supply. If you're still using the power supply without problems then you can assume it's working properly.

Since the MSI TwinFrozr2 560ti isn't working then you can assume that is the device that the failure occurred on.

Solution

chatton09

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Ok thanks!

I wasnt sure what to do to test the PSU and have actually been running prime95 on it for the past 30min or so lol. But no problems so ill get right on RMA'ing the 560!

Status
Not open for further replies.