theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hello. After deciding to wait for ddr4 before building a new desktop pc, i decided to make a HTPC for multimedia, streaming, youtube, internet and similar.

The HTPC will be connected to a Samsung UE40D5000 TV and Genius sp-2020 speakers which have both a analog and digital input. I will be connecting htpc to the tv via HDMI. The connection to the speakers worries me a bit. I want to connect the htpc to my speakers via coaxial digital audio cable for digital sound. So i will need a coaxial audio output on my HTPC. What do i need to buy to make this happen? Can i and should i get a sound card or is there no need for these speakers?

Since my budget is tight i don't have much options when it comes to cases. I decided on a LC-Power 2049MB. It is only ~50$ and comes with a 300W lc-power PSU. Here is the link: http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=334

I decided to get a intel 1155 sata3/usb3 Motherboard which has to be matx or mitx. Which motherboard do you recommend(50-70$)?
Which sata3 HDD is the quietest and reliable(500gb-1tb)?

The only thing im pretty sure is that i will be getting a intel g550 and a Asus GT 610 gpu. I think that it is the better option than the Apu a6-3650, what do you think?

You can also have s/pdif on a RCA type cable as well. Optical is also an option if you have it on both.

In many cases, the TV can take the audio from HDMI and pass it over to the stereo as well(spdif again. RCA type cable).

EDIT.

You look to be able to use analog as well if you would like for those speakers.

theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
My goal is to connect my speakers to the htpc with coaxial digital cable for digital audio. So i need a spdif with a coaxial output.

The reviews do not look so good. I have not used that board to comment. It only has 1 SATA3(6gigabit/sec) port and no coaxial spdif at all.

In your listed price range it was mostly G61 boards, but those lacked SATA 3(6.0gigabit/sec). They all seem to be lacking coaxial S/PDIF.

HDMI has taken over big time(leaving less other digital/analog connections). Optical is still rather common, but needs an adapter.

HDMI -> HDMI + S/PDIF adapters exist, but i have never tried them.

theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
How do you suggest connecting to the speakers with hdmi?! The speakers are not connected to the TV.
And it has " 1 x S/PDIF out header(s) " , what do you mean it has no s/pdif?

theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Well thats that. I decided my components. Would appreciate pointing out bad ideas.
Mobo: ASUS P8B75-M LE
CPU: Intel g630
GPU: Nvidia GT 610 (do i need it? I have some integrated on the cpu? Can it work well without a gpu?)
Ram: 2x4GB @ 1333mhz
PSU/Case: LC-power case with 300w psu
HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB WD10EZRX

will be adding ssd in the future.

If you are not going to game, then the onboard video in the cpu will work just fine for DVD/BD/youtube ect playback. Netflix (as far as I know) does not use hardware acceleration so video card or not, the cpu will be doing the work.

I am a big fan of Green and LP drives in media centers for the lower power and heat, but it will slow down windows loading and some multi-tasking to some extent. The future SSD for windows and programs and the green for media will work very well.

I would say it is just as good of an idea to use the onboard video and see how you like it. If you feel you need a bit more, add in a video card at that point.

Your power supply(LC300SFX) seems to have about 20amps @ 12 volts(240 watts) from the only specs I can find. that will let you use a decent card if needed(even more so with the 65 watt TDP cpu). You can get SFX power supplies up to about 450 watts if you want :)

EDIT. It may not hurt to look at the Asus website for the QVL list for the memory on the board and get some that is on that list if you can. Just to ensure memory compatibility.

TRENDING THREADS