Sign in with
Your question

PC to 55" TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2012 7:31:40 PM

The question I have is this. I want to be able to watch YouTube videos and other streaming media on my 55" Sony Bravia TV. Am I correct in thinking that if I get a video card with HDMI out, that I'll be able to watch those videos in as good of quality as I can on my 19" monitor? I know that YouTube videos can be watched in resolutions all the way up to 720p and 1080p.

I had tried connecting to the TV via serial connection and I was jut wondering if replacing my graphics card would work better. If so, what are some recommendations for graphics cards? I have a Gateway DX4200 from 2009 that I would like to use. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

More about : question

a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 7:39:47 PM

Any modern GPU should suffice for that task. 1080p video really isn't that taxing on even a low end modern GPU. The fact that your TV is 55" means nothing. It's res is still 1080p, I imagine.

Also, I read on the support site for that system that it should have come with a DVI to HDMI adapter, so you could use that. The GPU that is currently in it (as low end as it is) should probably be enough.

Also, the quality wouldn't really be any better than with VGA, either way.
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:51:40 PM

Yes any card that has an HDMI port on it will allow you to use your TV as a monitor. I have a spare computer with this card in it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and I'm able to hook it up to my 50" sony tv as well but I do notice it has a hard time on movies and that because it has 512MB of ram and its a really cheap card. I suggest to get something in the 1GB memory range. Also dont expect to be able to play any real games on this card but if your using it just for what you said then you will be fine.
m
l
!