Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade Advice

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2012 5:22:20 PM

Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU on my current system. What I have right now is:
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHZ
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium
Memory - 4GB DDR2
Video Card: ATI 7770 1GB DDR5

I would like to get a higher end CPU than what I have now but I don't want to exceed $500 and since I will have to get a new motherboard and memory since mine are quite outdated, that will add to the cost as well.

I have been looking into the AMD FX-8150 because it is much faster than what I have now and comes at a decent price compared to the new Intel processors. I've been reading a lot of forums and have been seeing mixed opinions of the processor. Now I'm sure a lot of the Intel processors hit higher benchmark levels on various tests and may get much higher frame rates than the AMD processor, but what I'm after is something much better than what I have and something more current technology wise at a decent price. I'm not too concerned with having the best of the best CPU wise, but I do want something that runs games pretty good without too much lagging.

So I wanted to know if getting an AMD FX-8150 would be decent enough to run current games at fairly high detail and be a reliable CPU or should I just stay away from AMD completely?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

More about : cpu upgrade advice

a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2012 7:11:29 PM

If you have $500 to spend you should go intel. Even the i3 2120 provides a better performance game wise than AMD. Here is the link from Tom's latest review on CPUs. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Intel Core i3-2120 and ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 $212

G.SKILL 4GB $23

or

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB $40

Total you are only spending $235-252 and it will be great for you. Spend $60 more and you can get a quad core spend $100 more and you can get an overclockable quad core cpu.
August 18, 2012 7:41:58 PM

Okay, cool. Thanks for your help. I'll look into it.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2012 7:55:00 PM

You can't just upgrade your cpu, you'll need a cpu, mobo and ram.

Crewton gave good advice, if you can squeeze it in go for a Z77/Intel Ivy Bridge Quad. There's also new Ivy Bridge i3's coming out.
!