SFF for College Dorm

jtnstnt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Hello,

I'm looking to take my current build and stuff it into an sff case. I'm tired of bringing my Corsair 650D back and forth from college. My current motherboard will not fit inside an sff, so I will need to find a new one to match my processor. My budget for the case and the motherboard is about 250 to 300 dollars, anything less is welcomed.

Also, how would I go about keeping the operating system and all of the current information intact? I'd rather not spend a whole day putting programs back onto my computer.

My current rig:

CPU: i7-2600k stock
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Memory: Corsair 4GBX2 DDR3 1333MHZ XMS
GPU: GTS 450
HDD #1: WD Blue 1TB
HDD #2: Seagate 1TB
SDD #1: Vertex 60GB (Not used since it crashes when trying to install Windows)
PSU: Seasonic 750W Gold
Case: Corsair 650D
ODD: LG Blu-Ray

Swapping the motherboard and keeping the OS is tricky at best, it's not recommended and usually it won't work anyway as far as I'm aware.

I'd take a look at the Fractal Design Core 1000. Not the most flashy case around but I think it looks great and it's very cheap. Also very small, even for a mATX case.

Something like the ASRock Z77 Pro4-M would be good for the motherboard. It's a newer Z77 chipset and should have all the features you will need.

Both of those would come to ~$150

If you wanted to go even smaller and way more portable, you could go for something like the LIAN LI PC-TU200A and ASRock Z77E-ITX. It would still fit everything you have there, it's going to get hotter than your 650D but should still be totally manageable.

(Just a note on that Lian Li case, it doesn't specify the max length for PSU. Presumably that means it can fit any but just keep it in mind just in case it can't.)

EDIT: I just looked it up, that PSU is too big for that Lian Li case :(

case:http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58474&vpn=FD-CA-DEF-MINI-BL&manufacture=Fractal%20Design

you will like the silence

mobo:http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=72469&vpn=GA-Z77M-D3H%20MVP&manufacture=Gigabyte

decent board for the money

the psu should fit. theres enough room im pretty sure

jtnstnt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Thanks for the replys. I forgot to mention that mini ITX is too small for me.

I might go with the Define Mini and the ASRock. I like the Mini's drive cages and the ASRock's PCI slot layout.

the define mini is heavy due to the large amount of sound deadening foam