Is this a good deal for a power supply?

hercules643

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

Hi - It might be a good deal, but most likely it is not.
They don't specify who the OEM is, & that in itself
should be a big warning flag. I'd stay away from it
unless you get some positive info specific to it.

Tom

Hi again - ko888 is prob right as Andyson makes most of the Ultra brand PSU's.
I didn't find a review of it though, so don't know if it's a good deal or not.

I guess for the price (and 3 yr warranty) it might be worth the gamble.

Tom

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
You get what you pay for. Personally I wouldn't put a $25 PSU in my system no matter the rated wattage.

There is also the fact to consider that there are no markings on the PSU, once you get it hopefully there will be some compliance stickers on it that you could run the numbers on.

Lastly, it does not advertise any modern features and it still has a manual switch for 110V/220V which means that it is lacking quite a bit of the newer PSU circuitry.

Basically I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole (literally if it were plugged into a wall).

redtailed

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Would not touch this. It is obviously very old technology and no matter what they sell it as, it will only pull 528W (if you are lucky) for the 12V rails. Probably no better than what you have or worse.

If you want a decent PSU to for the graphics card, here are some decent ones (I assume you are talking a new graphics card and not 2 in crossfire):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182261

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

hercules643

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

All of these psus are only 450 watts and the 7850 needs at least 500 watts I saw it on the AMD website. So how is this gonna be safe?

hercules643

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

What kind of modern features can a psu possibly have? It's just a power supply.

redtailed

Honorable
May 27, 2012

Your system doesn't need 500W if you get a good supply - the GPU manufacturers overestimate assuming you will get a not very efficient supply or a crappy $25 supply that can't output the power it claims. The maximum the graphics card can go is 130W (that is its TDP), your processor is < 100W and everything else is < 100W. That is 330W with everything running flat out.

hercules643

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

okay I really like that corsair cx 430. but are you sure it will be enough for my system? I have a phenom 2 x6 1090t black ed. with 1 Samsung 1.5 TB hardrive 5400 rpm. one dvd rw drive, 8gb of 1333mhz ram, and I want to run the msi twin frozer OC 7850 2gb card. I also want to have the option to throw I an ssd along with the 1.5 tb. Since my mobo only has one X16 slot, I will not be crossfiring as the other slots are only X4.

Modern Power Supply
• Automatic AC input voltage detection.
• Active PFC (i.e. Power Factor Correction).
• At least 95% of the power supply's total continuous power rating can be delivered on the +12 Volt rail(s).
• High AC to DC power conversion efficiency when rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature.
• Power supply is actually able to deliver its continuous rated power capacity when operated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature.
• Very low electrical noise and ripple level on all rails.
• Tight voltage regulation on all rails.
• Modular output cables.
• Protection circuits for load, power, voltage, current, temperature, short circuits.

For a system using a single reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. Some of the non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards require at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack Sufficient Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, in an attempt to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The Corsair Builder Series CX430 (75-001666 / CP-9020046-NA), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps and with one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics card.

redtailed

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Your CPU has a 125W Thermal Design Power
The graphics card has 130W (say 150W since it is OC)
The rest < 100W
= 375W on +12V, and this is with everything maxed

Your current supply wouldn't cut it. I expect it only has 1 16A +12V rail = 192W

For those I listed:

Capstone +12V: 444W
Seasonic +12V: 408W
Corsair +12V: 384W

I would go for one of the other, but the Corsair CX430 should do. Your graphics card only needs one PCI-E 6-pin power cable, which all of the above provide.

hercules643

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

Okay I really like the Corsair since its on sale right now for $35, but what if I wanted to overclock the graphics card and will the processor require more power when it goes turbo boost? it shuts off 3 cores and blasts the other 3 to like 3.6 ghz. I just wanna get a good reliable, efficient power supply without spending extra on more wattage, if I won't need it.

One thing I will say about that Ultra, if I was going to ever use a 700w psu for $25, thats the best candidate I have seen to date. Its clearly an old design, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually delivered somewhere close to 700w of halfway decent power. Not saying I would buy it. But given how many alleged 600w+ boxes of garbage you see in that price range, it at least has a chance.

hercules643

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
lol alright alright I get it its not a good power supply I'm thinking the corsair cx 430 would be a better choice but if it will have enough juice for possibly Overclocking the video card, or since its already overclocked I shouldn't mess with it anyways right?

It's more that the Ultra psu is an unknown. It could be a very good unit. But it's hard to know. That said, Ultra's are usually respectable units, but Corsair is a lock for great quality.

But if I had to bet money, I would bet the Ultra would be a serviceable unit. They are not great, but they are not bad either.

redtailed

Honorable
May 27, 2012
So if you do a light overclock you are probably OK with the Corsair, but I would go with either the capstone or the Seasonic in that order - they are better quality supplies and have more wattage. I would error on the side getting a bit more than you currently need.