twistedthinker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
This is my first post (hope I posted in the right spot) so please be patient with me in describing my problem and in any gracious response speak simply I am not too tech savvy. My (maybe a) problem is as follows along with a list of everything I could think of about my computer's guts. When I turn on the computer some time will pass before I will hear a knock followed by a few clicks. Now I probably have seen every video and YouTube about the click of death and none of them sound like this. Also it is not constant. If I didn't know it was a computer I'd swear it's like an old car just warming up. I will experience this knock and click 2,3,4 times in a row then nothing for 10 to 20 minutes then another series of knocks & clicks 1,2,3, or 4 times in a row. As time passes I stop hearing it almost all together. Once in a while I will get 1 or 2. Some days get more knocks some days less. I did a bios test - everything fine - did a Seagate scan from windows, scan passed. I tried to use HGST drive fitness disk but it could not recognize my drive - maybe because it's an SATA AHCI (whatever that is) . No performance issues, can run several programs, & watch a movie with no impact. The best I can give you for knock comparison is it's like a very small oil can (think Wizard of OZ tin man can) knock followed by 3 to 5 clicks. Very audible. Is there a test I can download to check my SATA drive, I can't seem to find & understand how to use them. I am open to any suggestions as to what it is. The drive is a newer release not much on the net about it. Well here is all I know about the things guts and thank you very much.
Model - HP Pavillion HPE h8-1234 #H2L72AA
Motherboard - M3970AM-HP (Angelica 2)
Processor - AMD FX-6120
Video Graphics - Radeon HD 7450
Hard Drive 1TB - Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000-D (HDS 7210 10DLE 630 ATA)(REVISION # MS2OA5R0)

I woud make sure the HDD and CD/DVD drive are tight and secure. Really make sure everything is screwed in and tight.

twistedthinker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Okay, the results from the tightening resulted nothing - still had a few knock and clicks when "warming up??" then all quiet. As for Hirens - after much research/trial & error/ trashed disks I managed to get a copy (told you I was a novice). Now, how do I run it in Dos and what do I click - seems like a lot of options come with this Hirens - Thank You again for time & patience with me

Hi :)

Write it to CD then BOOT from the cd...then run the FULL hard drive test....

All the best Brett :)

twistedthinker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
To be honest I scared myself so bad trying to do this "CD BOOT" that I will need a change of underwear. I put the disk in on a start up - saw a black and white screen starting with "windows x" - did not find one that said "Full hard drive test" - panicked - pushed ... I don't know what ..... screen ran something ending with >R ( I think ) panicked more - didn't know what to do - so I bypassed hysterical and went straight to terror stricken- pushed (I don't know what) and pushed something else until I finally manually shut the computer down - I am surprised it started to post this - I am going to the Bar to calm my batter dipped deep fried nerves - in the whilst - is there a video tutorial or a step by step you can recommend - something like HIREN for dummies - thanks

Hi :)

Nope lol... just put it in and boot from it...then choose whichever tests you want...

All the best Brett :)

Sounds like a dying hard drive to me too.

I would immediately backup any important data that isn't backed up already.

twistedthinker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
The latest endeavors with HIREN was a bust - most, including Hitachi's DFT could not even recognize the drive - kind of weird since the drive is Hitachi - so after all this and having exorcism rites performed on it by any faith I could think of it is time to replace it. - I want to once again say thank you for your efforts in trying to help me - it's nice to feel your not alone when your facing the unknown