Sign in with
Your question

Cpu compatibility

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2013 5:14:27 PM

So I am going buy this processor for my pc. It is compatible for the system board, but my question to you all is.... What is the difference between the OEM/tray cpu and the Boxed cpu. Also is there a difference with the install for each of these cpus? Can I get a little help from you all with this. Below is the exact CPU and system board I am referring to. This is what AMD sent me.

Your HP Pavilion P6203w Desktop has an M2N68-LA (Narra5) motherboard, which requires AM2+ CPUs, at a maximum of 95W (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01... ). According to this information, you can run the Phenom 9750 95W offering (HD9750WCJ4BGH as an OEM CPU, HD9750WCGHBOX as a PIB/retail CPU). ----- I also am wondering wth and how do I run each different setups or which setup I need to run that they are referring to here.

AMD Phenom X4
Model number ? 9750
CPU part numbers HD9750WCJ4BGH is an OEM/tray microprocessor
HD9750WCGHBOX is a boxed microprocessor

More about : cpu compatibility

a c 900 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 7:57:27 PM

Boxed comes with longer warranty (3 years) and a cooler. OEM only CPU with a 30 day warranty. Other wise the same CPU.
m
l
a c 387 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 7:58:32 PM

OEM/Tray means you get just the CPU, no cooler. Usually it is a bit less expensive but sometimes comes with a shorter warranty.
BOX means it come with cooler with thermal interface material already applied. It comes in a box, whereas the Tray version comes in just its clamshell.

There is no difference in installation, they both just drop in. Be sure to clean the old TIM off the existing cooler if you decide to reuse it. Then apply new.

A word of caution; be sure to upgrade your BIOS (w/old CPU installed) before upgrading your CPU. Sometimes it requires a later BIOS to recognize the newer CPU.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with your last sentence.
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2013 9:34:02 PM

rolli59 said:
Boxed comes with longer warranty (3 years) and a cooler. OEM only CPU with a 30 day warranty. Other wise the same CPU.

Thank you
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:34:41 PM

clutchc said:
OEM/Tray means you get just the CPU, no cooler. Usually it is a bit less expensive but sometimes comes with a shorter warranty.
BOX means it come with cooler with thermal interface material already applied. It comes in a box, whereas the Tray version comes in just its clamshell.

There is no difference in installation, they both just drop in. Be sure to clean the old TIM off the existing cooler if you decide to reuse it. Then apply new.

A word of caution; be sure to upgrade your BIOS (w/old CPU installed) before upgrading your CPU. Sometimes it requires a later BIOS to recognize the newer CPU.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with your last sentence.

Thank you
m
l
!