First-time builder looking for advice!

glass-box

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hi there!

I've been debating with myself for the last week or so whether it would be worth it to put together my own machine. I don't have a lot of experience working with computer hardware, other than upgrading RAM and replacing the odd hard drive, but I've heard that it won't be much of a jump to go from there, and I'd surely value the experience.

I'll be using this one for moderately heavy gaming, watching movies, and schoolwork. Here are the components I've selected so far;

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k 3.3GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Video Card: eVGA GT520 2GB
HDD: Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue
SDD: Intel 330-Series 120GB
Optical Dive: LG SuperMulti 24x DVD Writer
Case: Zalman Z9 Mid-Tower
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX430

Now, I can buy the lot for just under 800CAD from a local store, but that doesn't include the OS, Office software, or peripherals. I checked out Cyberpower and it seems I can get all that included with the parts I want for just over $1000 + shipping (minus a monitor, which I went out and bought already).

So basically, I'm wondering two things;
1. Will the build I've selected both fulfill my needs and be relatively future-proof, and are there any upgrades or changes you'd suggest (I don't have a concrete budget, but preferably within 1200CAD), and
2. Am I better off spending the extra money and getting a "ready-to-go" machine, or is it worth it for me to go through and assemble everything myself (I have the time for it, I just don't know if it's worth the extra hassle)?

Thanks for your time!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
1. Your card isn't a graphics card it's a video card. If you do moderately heaving gaming it's giong to be a bad time. If you are looking for a budget card I'd go with a 7770 HIS 7770 like that or if you are wanting to stick with nvidia then something like EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti .

2. Yes, you are better off assembling everything yourself. You should be able to get the student discount on windows 7 (75% off) and you can get office from your school for like 10CAD.