Need help immediately!!

jascha13

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Just built a new system and I cannot get it too boot. After going through the troubleshooting guide, having my computer knowledgeable friends look at it, and calling a few computer stores I RMA'ed my motherboard. After receiving a new motherboard in the mail the same problem persists. No LEDs come on and the power button on the case is unresponsive. All that happens is the green light on the motherboard comes on. I jumpstarted my power supply and was able to turn the fan on and start up my dvd and hard drive. The weirdest part is that when I hook my case up to the motherboard totally wrong I can get the LEDs on the case to light up. When it is hooked up properly nothing happens at all. I also tried jumpstarting my motherboard and nothing happens either. I have everything barebones right now with just one 4gb stick of ram (in the proper slot) and my cpu connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated this problem has been driving me nuts for almost a month now.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121506

Ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231426

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

jascha13

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Without a doubt I have them in correctly. What really stumps me is that when I hoop them up wrong I can get LEDs to turn on. When its hooked up right I get no LEDs at all. What would resetting the bios do and have you ever heard of something like this?

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I've had it where I've assumed black was ground and red was live and set up the power and reset as such only to find that they did the colors backwards. It doesn't make sense to have LEDs come on when you hook it up wrong but nothing when right.

Resetting the bios is something I do when the motherboard goes wonky and I've run out of other things to try. For some reason it usually fixes whatever I screwed up.

jascha13

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

I reset the bios and I still get the same problem. As much as it doesn't make sense thats truly what happens. I even just hooked up the on/off switch and I still get nothing. Does this appear to be a fried motherboard or CPU to you?

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Did you start the motherboard without hooking it up to the case wires?

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

IF you cant jump start the motherboard (no LED no fans running no nothing), then its narrowed down to 2 things: Either your PSU is dead, or 24 pin power cable that connected to your motherboard is faulty, or the motherboard is faulty, assuming that you follow the steps to jump start the motherboard correctly without hooking any wires from the case.

jascha13

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

So would you suggest RMA'ing both the motherboard and the power supply to be safe? I can get fans running by the jumpstarting the power supply as well as the hard drive and dvd drive. I can LEDs to turn on but only wiring the case wrong when I wire it correctly nothing happens. Also the LED on the motherboard always comes on as well.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
- Do you have the latest BIOS?

- Tried swapping RAM sticks in different channels and double checking they are being read properly?

- Tried reseating the CPU and reapplying thermal paste?

- Triple checked everything is firmly plugged in?

- Swapped out the PSU (what PSU is it?)

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Well if you can get LEd and fans running, then PSU is not dead. What I suspect is that the 24 pin Power cable from the PSU to the motherboard is faulty. You mentioned you failed to jump start the motherboard without hooking up the case wires, can you list in details what step did you do during this process? Did you use a srew driver or any metal rod to connect the 2 pins power on the motherboard while the PSU is running? This is the most basic step, I need to know if this works because it will eliminate the 24 pin power cable being faulty or not.

Edit: Also make sure you remove all wires from the case while doing this to eliminate the wiring problems from the case itself.

jascha13

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
- Do you have the latest BIOS?
All I have is the factory settings because I have not been able to turn the computer on.
- Tried swapping RAM sticks in different channels and double checking they are being read properly?
The Mobo manual says that the RAM should be in slot 1 which it is. How do I check if it is being read properly? The only other thing I can think of is maybe the RAM is not compatible.
- Tried reseating the CPU and reapplying thermal paste?
This about the 5th time I have reset the CPU, (three times on the old motherboard and twice on this new one).
- Triple checked everything is firmly plugged in?
Im doing barebones build just so I can try and get it to turn on at least. I have the motherboard and CPU power supply cables connected as well as the CPU fan.
- Swapped out the PSU (what PSU is it?)
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
I have not done that but I jumped the power supply and was able to start up my hard drive and dvd drive plus the fan on the power supply.

jascha13

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

I hooked the computer up like usual connecting the 24 pin to the motherboard and the 4 pin for the CPU plus the CPU fan. I put in one stick of ram as well. Then I turned on the power supply switch and I used a screwdriver to touch both pins. I fiddled with this for 2 or 3 minutes and could not get the computer to start up.

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Just wanna be clear, you used the screwdriver to connect the 2 power pins on the motherboard, and nothing turns on? no LED no fans running? And you do this while the PSU is running, not just switched on, but running (after jump starting it) too?

jascha13

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

Yep not a thing, no fans, no LEDs, nothing.

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Ok then that eliminates any CPU/Ram/Case wiring problem. Now its either your PSU or motherboard. Since the 24 pin power cable is attached to the PSU itself, there is no way to test if the cable is faulty or not, unless you got a spare PSU.

What you need to do now is to get a different PSU to test it with (do the same thing, jump start PSU to get it running first, then jump start the motherboard using screw driver to see if anything turns on).

Or

If you have any spare motherboard, try that same PSU with a spare motherboard to see if it works by repeating the same steps above. If the spare motherbard works, you got a working PSU and a dead motherbard. If a spare PSU works, you got a working motherboard but bad original PSU with faulty 24 pin power cable.

jascha13

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

Ok ill try that and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help.

jascha13

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

I was able to turn on my old computer using my current power supply. So does that mean I got another bad motherboard and there is no way it could be my processor? I just received my new one friday.