Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Should i get a gtx 680? for a 1080p Flat screen tv

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 29, 2012 11:02:38 PM

ok so its finally time to upgrade my graphic card and since the gtx 680 is in my price range i have a few questions i would like answered before i go ahead and purchase a new graphics card.

Question 1: is this card future proof? like will i be able to play the best games at the highest settings on a single 1080p flat screen tv for like 5 or 6 years?

Question 2: is this card reliable? can my system and my power supply support this card?

Question 3: Now again im not into 3d or multiple screens or insane resolutions because this card will be used with a bigscreen tv, is this card even worth it if im only gonna need it for a 1080p tv? is there any card thats better and similar in performance thats cheaper?

and finally after searching on newegg i gotta say the two years i spent off the market as far as graphic cards are concerned have left me feeling extremely confused, and indecisive. there are like 20 versions of the gtx 680 ranging from 499 to 600 which one is the best one for under 530? that is ofcourse if there is a unilateral vote for buying the 680

My Rig

Cpu: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

Cpu Fan: Zatarran

SSD: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Fan: APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

Case: XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Ram: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

Mobo: Asus's P6x58d Premium

Powr: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Samsung TV 1080p
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 11:34:51 PM

grizdom said:
ok so its finally time to upgrade my graphic card and since the gtx 680 is in my price range i have a few questions i would like answered before i go ahead and purchase a new graphics card.

Question 1: is this card future proof? like will i be able to play the best games at the highest settings on a single 1080p flat screen tv for like 5 or 6 years?

Question 2: is this card reliable? can my system and my power supply support this card?

Question 3: Now again im not into 3d or multiple screens or insane resolutions because this card will be used with a bigscreen tv, is this card even worth it if im only gonna need it for a 1080p tv? is there any card thats better and similar in performance thats cheaper?

and finally after searching on newegg i gotta say the two years i spent off the market as far as graphic cards are concerned have left me feeling extremely confused, and indecisive. there are like 20 versions of the gtx 680 ranging from 499 to 600 which one is the best one for under 530? that is ofcourse if there is a unilateral vote for buying the 680

My Rig

Cpu: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

Cpu Fan: Zatarran

SSD: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Fan: APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

Case: XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Ram: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

Mobo: Asus's P6x58d Premium

Powr: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Samsung TV 1080p



Your Power supply can easily support two gtx 680's.

If you want to get a 680 you should overclock your cpu from 3.6-4 ghz.

There is no such thing as future proofing, your card will last 6 years but it won't be able to max it out on the highest of settings.

You will still be able to play on lower settings or SLI 680's.

Last thing I should say is get a Gtx 670 because its 5% slower than a 680 but its $100 less!!
Score
0
June 29, 2012 11:41:43 PM

well im not looking for two cards im looking for just one (less of a hassle if anything goes wrong), and what do you mean i wont be able to max out settings? does the 680 suck on its own? or you mean like 5 years from now?

and also to answer my last question which gtx 680 below 530 is the best one for me and my needs? i have a link but im not sure i can post it from newegg is that allowed?
Score
0
Related resources
June 29, 2012 11:43:49 PM

and my cpu is overclocked to 3.8 or something dont remember lol i overclocked it a year ago and im just starting to use the pc now so i have to check to make sure
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 11:46:13 PM

grizdom said:
well im not looking for two cards im looking for just one (less of a hassle if anything goes wrong), and what do you mean i wont be able to max out settings? does the 680 suck on its own? or you mean like 5 years from now?

and also to answer my last question which gtx 680 below 530 is the best one for me and my needs? i have a link but im not sure i can post it from newegg is that allowed?


The card is the best single GPU gaming card currently available and in due time that will change ( Probably in less than 6 months)

If you do want the 680 here a good one from EVGA with two fans.

EVGA has great customer service and will replace a product if it goes wrong without any problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0

Best solution

a c 259 U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 11:53:33 PM

Regardless of the size of the TV, 1080P is still 1920 x 1080 resolution.

1) While there really is no such thing as "future proof" A GTX680 should run your games well for quite some time.

2) The GTX680 seems very stable and reliable. I have been using one since day one without issue.
Here is what power EVGA recommends for a GTX680, namely 550w with 38a. Your psu is a good one and is more than you need for any single card:
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=02G-P4-268... 600 Series Family&sw=

3) For almost the same performance, I would suggest a GTX670 which is $100 cheaper. It is more than enough for a single monitor.

4) All the cards are based on the same basic chip and guts. They differ only in cooler designs, which are mostly marketing.
You can buy factory overclocked versions for a slight price premium.

What card are you upgrading from? If the jump is not significant, you may be disappointed.

Share
June 30, 2012 12:07:47 AM

I be more worried about how long the your new LCD TV last than your viedo card(s)... Its rumor around the web LCD/LED TV's aren't made to last more than a few years compared to traditional TV's from the past... Remember the old cathode ones in the past that lasted like 15 years!!! Anyways, I've been running SLI 460GTX's since they came out (btw: OC'd i7 930 to 4ghz with OCZ 750watt) And guess what no issues what so ever (Skyrim maxed out, no problemo) ... But guess what my 2008 42" 1080p 120-mhz $1500 Samsung LCD TV is starting to have capacitator issues and I got two bands of dead pixels... So start saving for two TV's!!!
Score
0
June 30, 2012 12:08:16 AM

would you recommend the one year 30 buck warranty?
Score
0
June 30, 2012 12:11:29 AM

the last reply was directed towards maxs post, and as far as the gtx 670 is the 5% only right now? will that margin increase with better drivers? and believe me the card im upgrading from is abysmal...it cost me 20 bucks lol its more like a holder ive been saving up for a super card for quite some time so thats why this jump is so significant
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 12:12:51 AM

Hey Grizdom, before dropping money on the 680 it might be worthwhile at this time considering waiting for the gtx685.

I'm soon to be due for an upgrade too, seeing gtx680 here in Australia would set me back just under a $1000 i would be seriously kicking my self if the 685 which is rumoured to have 512bit and 4gb vram is due toward the end of this year.

Just something to think about i guess.



Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 12:30:13 AM

grizdom said:
the last reply was directed towards maxs post, and as far as the gtx 670 is the 5% only right now? will that margin increase with better drivers? and believe me the card im upgrading from is abysmal...it cost me 20 bucks lol its more like a holder ive been saving up for a super card for quite some time so thats why this jump is so significant


Well when drivers get better they get better for everything so if the performance of the 680 is increased so is the 670's :wahoo: 
Score
0
June 30, 2012 12:36:35 AM

well as far as the 685 i think it will be too much for my budget and remember the most resolution ill play at from any tv is 1080p so if the 680 is good enough then i think ill buy it one last question should i buy it from the evga website newegg? which one would you dudes recommend
Score
0
a c 259 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 12:36:42 AM

grizdom said:
would you recommend the one year 30 buck warranty?


Extended warranties are, in general not worth it.
Most electronics failures will happen within a short period of time.
Score
0
a c 259 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 12:39:47 AM

grizdom said:
well as far as the 685 i think it will be too much for my budget and remember the most resolution ill play at from any tv is 1080p so if the 680 is good enough then i think ill buy it one last question should i buy it from the evga website newegg? which one would you dudes recommend


If there is a significant difference in price, buy there.
Verify that the unit you select is in stock, or, you may have to wait.

Otherwise, I think EVGA requires delivery confirmation which may be a problem for some.
Score
0
a c 259 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 12:46:53 AM

grizdom said:
or should i just go ahead and get the 670 thats superclocked?

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=04G-P4-267...


If you have the budget for a $520 GTX680, I suggest you buy it.
If you buy a lesser card, you will always be wondering if you should have bought something different.
I have rarely regretted overbuying something good.
Buying something less, I have regretted more often.
Score
0
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 12:50:11 AM

+1^

If I had the budget for a top of the line card, I would grab it. Also, it's a matter of whether you want to save money or not.
Score
0
June 30, 2012 1:12:22 AM

Best answer selected by Grizdom.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 1:34:30 AM

Before this thread is closed i would just like to give you a heads up of what to probably expect with your tv and response lag in your games if this will be your first time using a TV.

Led/Lcd both use liquid crystal to display, even with all the filtering options turned off you may still experience slight delay between your keyboard/mouse and TV. There isn’t anything you can do really except deal with it, depends how fussy you are :)  On the other hand if the tv in future needs replacing you can count on plasma to eliminate any lag issues.
Score
0
June 30, 2012 1:53:14 AM

really? wow never knew that thxs DUDE!!! =]
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 8:56:02 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!