Sign in with
Your question

CPU/GPU Upgrades for my Motherboard??

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2013 7:25:55 PM

Hi, I want to upgrade my PC to play ArmA2 at a decent framerate with little lag or choppiness. I tried the ArmA2 demo and I was getting quite a bit of frame lag/choppiness - enough to make it not fun to play. Could anyone help me out to decide what my options are with this MoBo and what my best bet would be?

ArmA2 system specs:
Recommended specs:
• Quad Core CPU or Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)
• 2 GB RAM
• GPU (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM
• Windows XP or Windows Vista
• DVD (Dual Layer compatible)
• 10 GB free HDD space

My Specs:
Pentium Dual Core E5300 - 2.6ghz
6GB Ram
Radeon HD 4550(Slapped this into a PCIe slot some years ago when I wanted to play Grand Theft Auto 4, it ended up working okay but still a little laggy for that game too.)
and I am unsure of the Motherboard, Although I do know the computer is an ASUS CM5570-AP003
My monitor is a 32" Dynex LCD TV, 1360x768 resolution
PSU I believe is 300w

So, what are my options as far as CPU or GPU upgrade choices/what cost am I looking at to play ArmA2 at a smooth framerate?

Thanks
a c 866 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 7:41:31 PM

You would get away with GPU HD6670 or HD7750
m
l
a c 338 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 7:46:13 PM

+1^
At 720p, you should run fine with a faster graphics card.
Also, be sure your system is clean. Built up garbage over time can waste resources and slow down the machine. Run CCleaner to clean up wasted crap and registry errors.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2013 7:57:09 PM

Okay great, thanks guys. Also; how many amps should I be looking for on the 12v rail? I've heard at least 25 because that is the most you can get from the PCIe slot, is this true? Or will the PSU be okay and I shouldn't worry myself with this?
m
l
a c 866 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 7:58:50 PM

Both cards I suggested run on a 300watt PSU. HD7750 is the more powerful one and consumes less electricity.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 8:01:33 PM

insidious_llama said:
My Specs:
Pentium Dual Core E5300 - 2.6ghz

You'll probably have trouble keeping a consistent framerate with that CPU - Arma 2 is a CPU hog. Check your system's CPU compatibility and consider upgrading.

On the GPU end, an HD 7750 is great for 720p gaming.
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:02:41 PM

rolli59 said:
Both cards I suggested run on a 300watt PSU. HD7750 is the more powerful one and consumes less electricity.

Awesome, thanks again!
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:42:58 PM

jessterman21 said:
You'll probably have trouble keeping a consistent framerate with that CPU - Arma 2 is a CPU hog. Check your system's CPU compatibility and consider upgrading.

On the GPU end, an HD 7750 is great for 720p gaming.

I would need to use a CPU that would work with a LGA 775 slot for this MoBo, correct? Something like a e8400 seems to be good after the little research I did, but then again I could be way off. How do you guys feel about buying used or refurbished CPUs? I can get a refurbed e8400 for ~80 bucks which seems like a good deal but if refurbed CPUs are iffy I'll stay away.

Whether or not solely the GPU smooths ArmA up or not will dictate my CPU purchase, but good to know just in case.
m
l
a c 866 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 8:45:26 PM

LGA775 is the most complicated platform upgrading so you will have to check CPU compatibility with your board.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 10:08:32 PM

rolli59 said:
LGA775 is the most complicated platform upgrading so you will have to check CPU compatibility with your board.

+1
m
l
a c 338 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 2:05:18 AM

+1^
And be sure to check which BIOS version is required for the CPU you decide on. If it is later than the one you currently have, be sure to flash to the newer BIOS before you swap CPUs.

Also, Run CPU-Z and look under the Mainboard tab to find which motherboard you have installed. Then we can point you to which CPUs will work with your system.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
m
l
January 3, 2013 9:17:09 PM

Thank all of you guys so much for the info you're giving me. Easily the most helpful forum I've been on in a while!

Here's a screenshot of the Mainboard Tab:
m
l
January 3, 2013 11:39:32 PM

I think I will Indeed go with the E6700 like you linked. How do I check what BIOS version the new cpu needs so I can flash to the new BIOS before I swap the CPU over? Light googling reveals Bios 1811? However I could be wrong. I'm confident in swapping CPUs or putting a GPU into the PCIe slot but I'm a bit iffy on changing BIOS myself. Would a nearby computer repair shop be able to do this?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 11:28:02 AM

insidious_llama said:
I think I will Indeed go with the E6700 like you linked. How do I check what BIOS version the new cpu needs so I can flash to the new BIOS before I swap the CPU over? Light googling reveals Bios 1811? However I could be wrong. I'm confident in swapping CPUs or putting a GPU into the PCIe slot but I'm a bit iffy on changing BIOS myself. Would a nearby computer repair shop be able to do this?

No no no - Get a Core 2 Quad (preferably 2.6GHz or higher) or nothing. No sense in upgrading a dual-core for a slightly faster dual-core.

Also, look for YouTube videos on swapping CPUs - there are plenty. And flashing your BIOS is about as difficult as installing Adobe Reader.
m
l
January 4, 2013 5:46:49 PM

jessterman21 said:
No no no - Get a Core 2 Quad (preferably 2.6GHz or higher) or nothing. No sense in upgrading a dual-core for a slightly faster dual-core.

Also, look for YouTube videos on swapping CPUs - there are plenty. And flashing your BIOS is about as difficult as installing Adobe Reader.

Is it really kind of senseless to upgrade only for the .6ghz increase in speed? I was under the impression that when gaming, it isn't the amount of cores that matters so much as your CPU speed that matters, and when multitasking is when it would be best to have more cores.

I'm satisfied with the performance of my CPU for Multitasking and things like Photoshop, Browsing, Music, ETC. Just the gaming performance is what I need. However, It does make sense that having more cores would improve gaming performance.

What CPU would you recommend? I want to get the best value I can.

I'm fine with Swapping a CPU and GPU, it was just the BIOS that scared me - just because of the consequences in failing the flash and having a nice, expensive paperweight.
m
l
a c 866 à CPUs
January 4, 2013 8:02:52 PM

Well in all reality upgrading a lga775 does not make much sense today unless you can get the CPU cheap. I personally would try with just the GPU upgrade and then think about it.
Problem upgrading to a fast core2quad is their price which even buying used are selling at a premium even exceeding the price of current dual core CPU's.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 10:23:00 PM

insidious_llama said:
Is it really kind of senseless to upgrade only for the .6ghz increase in speed? I was under the impression that when gaming, it isn't the amount of cores that matters so much as your CPU speed that matters, and when multitasking is when it would be best to have more cores.

Your impressions are correct for 2010 games and earlier. Games have gotten a lot more complex in the past two years - being able to handle more than two threads is pretty much necessary for smooth gaming these days.
m
l
a c 338 à CPUs
January 5, 2013 6:54:02 PM

Your Asus CM5570 PC probably uses the Asus P5Ql-VM motherboard. That was the one most often installed. Open your case and look for that model name/number on the board. If so, here is the website for that board:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5QLV...

Use the various tabs on the site to find which BIOS version you will need for which processor. Under the CPU Support tab, you will see which CPUs are suppoerted and which BIOS version is required for which CPU:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5QLV...

But be sure that is the same board you have. I'm only going by past experience. It is possible you have a different board installed.
m
l
!