subliminal_db

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Hello, is there a place to buy a computer that supports windows xp, to build custom... any intel cpu's and other parts available for windows xp?

popatim

Titan
No one will sell you a new XP computer; the best you'll find is one without an Operating System and then you will have to install XP yourself.

Before you buy one of these systems Please do make sure that XP drivers are available for all the options on the board (usb, audio, lan...) as well as the chipset.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Here is a link to some prebuilt PCs from Newegg, otherwise most any new PC will run XP just not utilize more than ~ 3GB of ram.

Also do not post your e-mail address in your posts. Wait for someone to respond to your question.

Thanks and welcome to THF! :sol:

Used on Ebay maybe but new no. XP went out the door 5 years ago when Vista was launched on 2007.

Go with a windows 7 pro or ultimate pc so you can still use your old windows xp files. It's the best of both worlds. Craigslist or anandtech sometimes has terrific deals on used systems. You just have to say no sometimes or wait a couple of days before you offer less.

Current Intel® processors, boards and chipsets have minimal Windows XP support in most cases "as is". Meaning that the driver support is only what is out there and we are offering no new or updated driver support for it. Personally I would go with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and uses the XP virtualization feature to run older applications. (Heck I was about to run Diablo II on Windows 7).

No, not really.

I believe prior to the release of Windows 7, only around 20% of all PCs were using Win Vista. Older Windows versions probably made up around 4%. That means that Win XP still commanded 76% of the install base. I do not believe Win XP dropped below 50% of the total install based until Spring or Summer 2012. Not sure what the percentage is right now, but I would guess that it still has an install base greater than 40%.

Now, if you were to ask how many gamers are still using Win XP, then that is a different story and there is no real statistics on it except through Steam. But that only applies to people who have a Steam account.

If you want to use Windows XP, then it is best to build the PC yourself. You will need to check the manufacturer's website (like Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc) to find out if they provide Win XP drivers for the specific motherboard you will buy.

You can buy an OEM version of Win XP for $80. OEM means the operating system will be tied to the initial motherboard you install the OS to. If you wish to replace that motherboard in the future with a different one, then you need to call Microsoft and them you need to have them unlock Win XP so that it can be registered to the new motherboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-System-Builders-VERSION/dp/B000JTFVME/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1357173079&sr=1-1

I really like Win XP. I've been using it since early 2002 and I did upgrade to Win 7 until early 2012. Win Vista was crap. I still have my Win XP install disk... just in case... :)