Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which GPU is better? Radeon 7870 or 7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 29, 2012 11:40:03 PM

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69828&vpn=FX787ACNFC&manu...
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=70088&vpn=R7950%...

I saw the 7950 on sale but initially I bought the 7870 from NCIX but if it is much better to buy the 7950 I will call and change my order. So basically I want to know whether the extra $15 for the 7950 will be worth it in terms of the extra 1GB and the dual fan? I am planning on using this GPU for the next 5 years hopefully.

OR if you have a better card to recommend me at similar price I will consider too. $300-320

My current build.
Case: Corsair 500R
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
GPU: XFX Radeon 7870 Core Ed.
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHK 8gb
HDD: Seagate Barracude 2TB
PSU: Corsair TX750W V2
Op Drive: ASUS Dvd Writer

I need some info on the cards and to help me decide. Thanks

More about : gpu radeon 7870 7950

a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 11:54:05 PM

megamonkey said:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69828&vpn=FX787ACNFC&manu...
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=70088&vpn=R7950%...

I saw the 7950 on sale but initially I bought the 7870 from NCIX but if it is much better to buy the 7950 I will call and change my order. So basically I want to know whether the extra $15 for the 7950 will be worth it in terms of the extra 1GB and the dual fan? I am planning on using this GPU for the next 5 years hopefully.

OR if you have a better card to recommend me at similar price I will consider too. $300-320

My current build.
Case: Corsair 500R
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
GPU: XFX Radeon 7870 Core Ed.
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHK 8gb
HDD: Seagate Barracude 2TB
PSU: Corsair TX750W V2
Op Drive: ASUS Dvd Writer

I need some info on the cards and to help me decide. Thanks


7950 is better than the 7870.
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 11:55:20 PM

maxh22 said:
7950 is better than the 7870.

But if you overclock the 7870, it will be better than a stock 7950.
I don't think it's worth the extra money personally...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 11:56:56 PM

tw23 said:
But if you overclock the 7870, it will be better than a stock 7950.
I don't think it's worth the extra money personally...


Yes, but if you overclock the 7950 it will be a lot better than the 7870 overclocked.

But your right the price difference is high so thats why a 7870 is a good card for your money!
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 12:03:00 AM

tw23 said:
But if you overclock the 7870, it will be better than a stock 7950.
I don't think it's worth the extra money personally...


it's only a 15 dollar difference with a custom color on the 7950. this should be a no brainier, get a card that's closer to it's limit but 15 dollars cheaper or get a custom card that's way underclocked initially and can be clocked above 1000 ghz easily.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 12:32:08 AM

The 7950 is by far the better deal for $15 more. Even if they were both 7870s the MSI version would still be worth the extra $15 bucks alone because of the Twin Frozr III. To get that along with a extra GB of memory and the 7950 chip is an excellent deal.

To me it is 'no contest'. The $15 extra for the 7950 is without a doubt worth it.

(Gosh these Samsung Memory Flash adds are annoying me)
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 1:32:11 AM

Great feedback, so it seems 7950 has it.

BUT I was wondering if there are any suggestions of good Geforce cards at that price range?
m
0
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 1:46:32 AM

megamonkey said:
Great feedback, so it seems 7950 has it.

BUT I was wondering if there are any suggestions of good Geforce cards at that price range?


nope, Nvidia's completely MIA in the $300 dollar range. sure, they have cards that are selling for that much, but a gtx 480 can hit that performance at $200. on the other hand, their 670 is a great deal, but that card's $400.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 1:48:24 AM

for 15$ more, i would definitely make that jump.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 1:49:28 AM

Yes the 7950 is worth much more than a $15 premium. If I were you I would switch that order ASAP.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 1:49:49 AM

well the 670 is the only other thing at that level i'd suggest is a 670 but thats above 400 on ncix. there's the 580 but i don't think that be a good buy compare the 7950. with the new beta drivers i reached P8772 on the graphics score on 3dmark 11 at a 1050/1575mhz overclock.
m
0
l
!