Windows Explorer Sort by filename sorts wrong

Is there an option I'm missing which would fix the following ?

I display a bunch of files in Win Explorer.
Click on the NAME heading to sort by name.

It sorts file names ignoring leading zeros.

Here's a sample list of filenames after the sort:

00005042.IDX
00008487.DAT
00008487.IDX
8859-1.cod
8859-15.cod
8859-1w.cod
00009830.DAT
00009830.IDX
00009833.DAT

TIA, QE in NJ
5 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer sort filename sorts wrong

    Use TweakUI

    TweakUI
    [+] Explorer
    ? Use intuitive filename sorting

    [[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5”
    comes before “File 10” because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
    Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10” will come before
    “File 5” because 1 comes before 5. ]]
    ----

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    -----

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    -----

    The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
    Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

    Windows Explorer Incorrectly Sorts Files and Folders with 10 or
    More Consecutive Numerals
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318872

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ks7va1thq399b2f2lqei0dh2rp9qdc9mvb@4ax.com,
    QuienEs <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISatt.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Is there an option I'm missing which would fix the following ?
    >
    > I display a bunch of files in Win Explorer.
    > Click on the NAME heading to sort by name.
    >
    > It sorts file names ignoring leading zeros.
    >
    > Here's a sample list of filenames after the sort:
    >
    > 00005042.IDX
    > 00008487.DAT
    > 00008487.IDX
    > 8859-1.cod
    > 8859-15.cod
    > 8859-1w.cod
    > 00009830.DAT
    > 00009830.IDX
    > 00009833.DAT
    >
    > TIA, QE in NJ

    The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
    Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000:

    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "QuienEs" <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISatt.net> wrote in message
    > Is there an option I'm missing which would fix the following ?
    >
    > I display a bunch of files in Win Explorer.
    > Click on the NAME heading to sort by name.
    >
    > It sorts file names ignoring leading zeros.
    >
    > Here's a sample list of filenames after the sort:
    >
    > 00005042.IDX
    > 00008487.DAT
    > 00008487.IDX
    > 8859-1.cod
    > 8859-15.cod
    > 8859-1w.cod
    > 00009830.DAT
    > 00009830.IDX
    > 00009833.DAT
    >
    > TIA, QE in NJ

    Thanks Ramesh and Wesley.

    If anyone wants to change it to the way I wanted it to work w/o lots
    of reading, just create a text file with the following contents,
    named "anyname.reg"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoStrCmpLogical"=dword:00000001

    Find the file in explorer, right-click and select MERGE.

    Then reboot.

    Works like a charm.

    Cheers, QE in NJ
    ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:36:05 GMT, QuienEs
    <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISatt.net> wrote:

    |Is there an option I'm missing which would fix the following ?
    |
    |I display a bunch of files in Win Explorer.
    |Click on the NAME heading to sort by name.
    |
    |It sorts file names ignoring leading zeros.
    |
    |Here's a sample list of filenames after the sort:
    |
    | 00005042.IDX
    | 00008487.DAT
    | 00008487.IDX
    | 8859-1.cod
    | 8859-15.cod
    | 8859-1w.cod
    | 00009830.DAT
    | 00009830.IDX
    | 00009833.DAT
    |
    |TIA, QE in NJ

    You're welcome QuienEs.

    --

    > Thanks Ramesh and Wesley.
    >
    > If anyone wants to change it to the way I wanted it to work w/o lots
    > of reading, just create a text file with the following contents,
    > named "anyname.reg"

    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    > "NoStrCmpLogical"=dword:00000001
    >
    > Find the file in explorer, right-click and select MERGE.
    >
    > Then reboot.
    >
    > Works like a charm.
    >
    > Cheers, QE in NJ
    > ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:36:05 GMT, QuienEs
    > <QuienEsREMOVETHIS@ANDTHISatt.net> wrote:
    >
    > |Is there an option I'm missing which would fix the following ?
    > |
    > |I display a bunch of files in Win Explorer.
    > |Click on the NAME heading to sort by name.
    > |
    > |It sorts file names ignoring leading zeros.
    > |
    > |Here's a sample list of filenames after the sort:
    > |
    > | 00005042.IDX
    > | 00008487.DAT
    > | 00008487.IDX
    > | 8859-1.cod
    > | 8859-15.cod
    > | 8859-1w.cod
    > | 00009830.DAT
    > | 00009830.IDX
    > | 00009833.DAT
    > |
    > |TIA, QE in NJ

  5. Thanks for the notes which helped me.

    Actually I found I had to add a line of "REGEDIT4" on top in the anyname.reg to make it possible to merge on my Windows XP SP3.
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoStrCmpLogical"=dword:00000001

Configuration Windows Explorer Customization Filename Windows XP