Computer keeps shuttng off after 5 seconds with new psu

HateradeIT

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hello, so I just recieved my new power supply, a Corsair tx650. I have been trying to install it in my computer for a while now and plugged it in, only to find that my computer shuts off after 5 seconds when I start it up. I also noticed that on my old PSU, it had this odd 2p connector connected to my motherboard and wondered if this hs anything to do with this happening. If anyone can help, please reply to this thread. Thanks! :)

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Please run a program from Piriform called Speccy. It will help us get the information we need. Things like exactly who made your motherboard and which model board it is. Also things like exactly which i3 processor you have.

Please post a screen shot of the result.

its a bit hard to do that if the pc wont stay up for more than 5 seconds. and what type of i3 isnt going to make a difference.

did the old psu work? if so, then i would suggest something in the new psu is shorted out, or you have one of the leads shorting out to something in the case, or you have not plugged in a power connector. I dont know of any 2 pin connectors going from psu to motherboard? should be a 24pin and a separate 4 pin connector or 8 pin connector. What exact motherboard is in there(make/model)? and is this a pre-built pc from someone like HP or Dell, they often use funny non-standard connectors.

HateradeIT

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hey guys. So I figured out the problem and it was really nooby. I needed an 4 pin ESP connector and it gave me an 8 pin. I later found out that the 8pin could split in half to make 2, 4 pin connectors. Thank's for tryin to help though guys! ;D

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Funny how you criticize me and then ask the same question I have already asked twice! Silly me for thinking that his system specs would help solve the problem.