Solved

New to building computers need some help please

Normally I try to look up and do things on my own, but I am really quite unsure if I should go ahead and make the purchase. I am building a gaming computer that also use it for my artwork, videos, etc. Looking at all these custom pc building sites has made my head spin and I figured I could get more for my money if I just purchased the parts from Newegg. Since this is my first time and I do have sort of a budget, can anyone tell me if this is overkill? If so, what would you recommend in replacement? Also, should I get vga liquid cooling for the graphics card or just a regular liquid cooling kit? ... maybe it would be better to just stick with the fans, but I wouldn't know with this build. I realize this build is over $2300 and I was hoping to spend closer to $2000 (on just the components listed). Would it be worth it to ditch the SSD for now? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Case: Cooler Master HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower - $169.99
PS: Corsair HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $174.99
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 - $339.99
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $249.99
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $91.99
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support - $499.99
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card - $169.99
SSD: Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $198.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $179.99
Optical Drive: LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-Ray Burner with SW, 3D Play Back - $129.99
Operating System: Windows 7 professional 64 bit - $139.99

~Michelle

ps I already have the wireless pci network card and external components such as keyboard, mouse, headphones, uninterrupted power supply and led monitor.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building computers please
  1. You don't need the sound card your motherboard has audio.
    Gtx 670 will save $100 and maintain performance.
    A 12x blu ray writer costs half that.
    You could get 1tb instead.
    That should keep you in budget.
  2. Best answer
    Your build isn't that overkill. It's just that you're spending unnecessary money. For starters:

You do NOT need an 850W PSU. 650 would be more appropriate, unless you're planning to SLI. You can save around $90 there.

The mobo already has functionality that replaces your sound card. Sound cards are mainly for audiophiles, gamers that have a thing for sound or people that work with sound as a living and need the extra features it provides. As you're going to be gaming and working with videos/artwork, the sound card is unnecessary. So you can save another $170.

SSD I would keep, since a big chunk of your performance would be coming from the SSD. However, I would consider downgrading the size if you're looking to cut costs even further, but of course that depends on what you're planning to put on the SSD.

Blu-ray burners don't normally cost that much...I would shop around/research alternatives.

Also, if you're going to be OC'ing then I (and the rest of Tom's) would suggest an aftermarket cooler, since the IB chips OC at higher temps compared to the SB series. A popular one is the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Evo. That, or a closed water loop from Corsair? I don't really know my water cooling :P
  3. an i5 3570k will do the same results in games only get the 3770k if your using hyperthreded software i have the i7 3770k it is great but i should have got the 3570k
    saved the money good luck
  4. a 750W PSU will do you better :) it saves money too :D
    EVGA uses reference coolers and you'd be better off with a 670 (as suggested) from Gigabyte, MSI or Asus.
    If you are gonna go for water cooling, get an H100 from Corsair or dump the whole water cooling idea. :D Just my opinion
  5. Best answer selected by chell1984.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems